Aug 1, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Back in early June at Pocono Raceway, Greg Biffle collected a solid second-place result but admitted that his and the rest of Roush Fenway Racing’s race cars still needed some tweaking to become consistent front-runners.
WIth the Sprint Cup Series returning to the “Tricky Triangle” this weekend for the GoBowling.com 400, Biffle, driver of the No. 16 Ford Fusion, believes that this time around, he’ll be in better shape car-wise with a brand new chassis.
“We are working hard on our race cars – we’ve got more down-force than we did last time we were there,” said Biffle. “We know Turn 3 [at Pocono] is where they are beating us, so we are going to concentrate on that and get us another Top-5 finish.”
Biffle comes to Pocono looking to stop a recent slide that has seen him finish outside the Top-10 in the last four races: 34th at Kentucky, 17th at Daytona, 15th at New Hampshire, and 24th last weekend at the Brickyard 400 in Indianapolis.
Furthermore, while Biffle sits eighth in the championship and has one win to his credit this year, he’s barely leading a logjam of drivers trying to race their way into the Top 10 or a Chase wild card spot. Only 12 points separate him from defending Cup champion Brad Keselowski (no wins) in 13th place. Going deeper into the standings, Biffle is just one point up on ninth-place Kasey Kahne (one win), and six points up on 10th-place Jeff Gordon (no wins).
The battle to make the Chase has gotten tighter and tighter. We’ll see if Pocono helps Biffle stay ahead of a very hungry pack.
- You might be surprised: Which former NASCAR champ holds record for most career last-place finishes? 0
- Lotus to defend Australian GP crown on the back foot 1
- Manager: Schumacher showing “small, encouraging signs” 0
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 2
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 1
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)