Aug 1, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Caterham team principal Cyril Abiteboul is delighted with the progress that the team has made in the past few months heading into Formula One’s summer break.
The team is yet to score any points but it is embroiled in a tight battle with Marussia for 10th place in the constructors’ championship. Despite making a poor start to the season, Abiteboul is delighted with the gap that his team has pulled out over Marussia in recent races.
“We started the season clearly behind, but over the last three races a comfortable gap has appeared between us and them, which shows our rate of development,” Abiteboul told the official Formula One website.
The Frenchman also expressed his delight at challenging Williams and Sauber on occasion, with Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde both running strongly at the Hungarian Grand Prix last weekend.
“That’s also helped us, on a couple of occasions, to race a Williams or a Sauber and that shows where we’re setting our targets. This progress is positive for the whole team because it shows the aggressive development plan we have for 2013 is delivering.”
Caterham currently trail Marussia by virtue of Jules Bianchi’s 12th-place finish at the Malaysian Grand Prix. However, if the team continues its current form, one would expect Caterham to leapfrog Marussia into 10th in the constructors’ championship.
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)