Aug 1, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Caterham team principal Cyril Abiteboul is delighted with the progress that the team has made in the past few months heading into Formula One’s summer break.
The team is yet to score any points but it is embroiled in a tight battle with Marussia for 10th place in the constructors’ championship. Despite making a poor start to the season, Abiteboul is delighted with the gap that his team has pulled out over Marussia in recent races.
“We started the season clearly behind, but over the last three races a comfortable gap has appeared between us and them, which shows our rate of development,” Abiteboul told the official Formula One website.
The Frenchman also expressed his delight at challenging Williams and Sauber on occasion, with Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde both running strongly at the Hungarian Grand Prix last weekend.
“That’s also helped us, on a couple of occasions, to race a Williams or a Sauber and that shows where we’re setting our targets. This progress is positive for the whole team because it shows the aggressive development plan we have for 2013 is delivering.”
Caterham currently trail Marussia by virtue of Jules Bianchi’s 12th-place finish at the Malaysian Grand Prix. However, if the team continues its current form, one would expect Caterham to leapfrog Marussia into 10th in the constructors’ championship.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 2
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 5