Aug 1, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Joey Logano is driving the No. 48 NASCAR at Watkins Glen next week… except it will be the No. 48 Ford Mustang in the NASCAR Nationwide Series’ second road course race of 2013.
The reason being, his Penske Racing team is entering three cars for Logano, Brad Keselowski (No. 22) and Penske’s lone full-time Nationwide driver Sam Hornish Jr. (No. 12). Logano and Keselowski’s cars will both feature Discount Tire sponsorship.
“It’s really as simple as there aren’t many numbers available; 48 was the best available number,” Penske Racing spokesman Jonathan Gibson told USA Today’s Jeff Gluck.
It won’t be a case of mistaken identity, but it’s still weird to see someone other than Jimmie Johnson driving a car with the number “Five-time” has made famous.
Video from NASCAR America
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 2
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1