Aug 1, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Joey Logano is driving the No. 48 NASCAR at Watkins Glen next week… except it will be the No. 48 Ford Mustang in the NASCAR Nationwide Series’ second road course race of 2013.
The reason being, his Penske Racing team is entering three cars for Logano, Brad Keselowski (No. 22) and Penske’s lone full-time Nationwide driver Sam Hornish Jr. (No. 12). Logano and Keselowski’s cars will both feature Discount Tire sponsorship.
“It’s really as simple as there aren’t many numbers available; 48 was the best available number,” Penske Racing spokesman Jonathan Gibson told USA Today’s Jeff Gluck.
It won’t be a case of mistaken identity, but it’s still weird to see someone other than Jimmie Johnson driving a car with the number “Five-time” has made famous.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2