Aug 1, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Joey Logano is driving the No. 48 NASCAR at Watkins Glen next week… except it will be the No. 48 Ford Mustang in the NASCAR Nationwide Series’ second road course race of 2013.
The reason being, his Penske Racing team is entering three cars for Logano, Brad Keselowski (No. 22) and Penske’s lone full-time Nationwide driver Sam Hornish Jr. (No. 12). Logano and Keselowski’s cars will both feature Discount Tire sponsorship.
“It’s really as simple as there aren’t many numbers available; 48 was the best available number,” Penske Racing spokesman Jonathan Gibson told USA Today’s Jeff Gluck.
It won’t be a case of mistaken identity, but it’s still weird to see someone other than Jimmie Johnson driving a car with the number “Five-time” has made famous.
- Here are your British Grand Prix air times on CNBC, NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Miles: After “two-sided pancake” Fontana race, IndyCar may crack down against stakeholder comments 1
- IndyCar issues penalties and fines following MAVTV 500 at Fontana 1
- NHRA shakeup: Tom Compton retires as president, Peter Clifford named successor 3
- Ed Carpenter: driver criticism of IndyCar ‘confusing for fans’ 12
- Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting” 2
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0