Aug 1, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Joey Logano is driving the No. 48 NASCAR at Watkins Glen next week… except it will be the No. 48 Ford Mustang in the NASCAR Nationwide Series’ second road course race of 2013.
The reason being, his Penske Racing team is entering three cars for Logano, Brad Keselowski (No. 22) and Penske’s lone full-time Nationwide driver Sam Hornish Jr. (No. 12). Logano and Keselowski’s cars will both feature Discount Tire sponsorship.
“It’s really as simple as there aren’t many numbers available; 48 was the best available number,” Penske Racing spokesman Jonathan Gibson told USA Today’s Jeff Gluck.
It won’t be a case of mistaken identity, but it’s still weird to see someone other than Jimmie Johnson driving a car with the number “Five-time” has made famous.
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 3
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 9
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2