Aug 1, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Joey Logano is driving the No. 48 NASCAR at Watkins Glen next week… except it will be the No. 48 Ford Mustang in the NASCAR Nationwide Series’ second road course race of 2013.
The reason being, his Penske Racing team is entering three cars for Logano, Brad Keselowski (No. 22) and Penske’s lone full-time Nationwide driver Sam Hornish Jr. (No. 12). Logano and Keselowski’s cars will both feature Discount Tire sponsorship.
“It’s really as simple as there aren’t many numbers available; 48 was the best available number,” Penske Racing spokesman Jonathan Gibson told USA Today’s Jeff Gluck.
It won’t be a case of mistaken identity, but it’s still weird to see someone other than Jimmie Johnson driving a car with the number “Five-time” has made famous.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1