Aug 3, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Felipe Massa’s future at Ferrari has been thrown into doubt after team president Luca di Montezemolo admitted in an interview that he has spoken to the Brazilian driver about upping his game in the second half of the season.
So far in 2013, Massa has scored 61 points and claimed one podium finish at the Spanish Grand Prix, but he has failed to match the form of his teammate Fernando Alonso, causing Ferrari to fall behind Red Bull and Mercedes in the constructors’ championship. Despite being the second longest-serving driver in the team’s history, Massa’s future is somewhat uncertain.
“Felipe is a quick driver and a great guy,” Montezemolo explained to Corriere della Sera. “But in the past days, we were very clear with him: both he and us need results and points.
“Then, at some point, we will look one another in the eye and decide what to do.”
This is not the first time that Massa’s position with the team has come under scrutiny. The Brazilian driver came within one point of winning the 2008 world championship, but after a severe accident at the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix, he appeared to lose the ‘spark’ that saw him come so close to becoming Brazil’s first world champion since Ayrton Senna. However, this will need to be regained soon if he is to spend a ninth season with Ferrari in 2014.
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)