Aug 3, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
Josef Newgarden led Saturday morning’s 45-minute practice for the IZOD IndyCar Series’ Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio. The series sophomore lapped the 2.258-mile Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in 1:06.654 in the No. 67 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing Honda.
Marco Andretti, E.J. Viso, James Hinchcliffe and Justin Wilson rounded out the top five.
The session had a long red flag for an accident by Charlie Kimball in the No. 83 Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing Honda. Kimball lost control through Turn 1 and backed into the tire barriers, temporarily getting airborne, but landing right side up. The car suffered severe damage at the rear, forcing a change to a backup car but not a change of engines.
Qualifying groups are below. The session is green at 2 p.m. ET local time and on NBC Sports Network at 5 p.m. ET later this evening.
It will be a normal qualifying session with the fastest six in each group advancing to the top 12, with the six best there moving into the Firestone Fast Six.
Group 1 Group 2 #9 Scott Dixon #12 Will Power #10 Dario Franchitti #1 Ryan Hunter-Reay #83 Charlie Kimball #98 Luca Filippi #27 James Hinchcliffe #25 Marco Andretti #78 Simona de Silvestro #77 Simon Pagenaud #3 Helio Castroneves #11 Tony Kanaan #67 Josef Newgarden #7 Sebastien Bourdais #5 E.J. Viso #55 Tristan Vautier #19 Justin Wilson #4 Oriol Servia #18 James Davison #15 Graham Rahal #6 Sebastian Saavedra #16 James Jakes #20 Ed Carpenter #14 Takuma Sato
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 0
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 1
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 9
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1