Aug 3, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
Josef Newgarden led Saturday morning’s 45-minute practice for the IZOD IndyCar Series’ Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio. The series sophomore lapped the 2.258-mile Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in 1:06.654 in the No. 67 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing Honda.
Marco Andretti, E.J. Viso, James Hinchcliffe and Justin Wilson rounded out the top five.
The session had a long red flag for an accident by Charlie Kimball in the No. 83 Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing Honda. Kimball lost control through Turn 1 and backed into the tire barriers, temporarily getting airborne, but landing right side up. The car suffered severe damage at the rear, forcing a change to a backup car but not a change of engines.
Qualifying groups are below. The session is green at 2 p.m. ET local time and on NBC Sports Network at 5 p.m. ET later this evening.
It will be a normal qualifying session with the fastest six in each group advancing to the top 12, with the six best there moving into the Firestone Fast Six.
Group 1 Group 2 #9 Scott Dixon #12 Will Power #10 Dario Franchitti #1 Ryan Hunter-Reay #83 Charlie Kimball #98 Luca Filippi #27 James Hinchcliffe #25 Marco Andretti #78 Simona de Silvestro #77 Simon Pagenaud #3 Helio Castroneves #11 Tony Kanaan #67 Josef Newgarden #7 Sebastien Bourdais #5 E.J. Viso #55 Tristan Vautier #19 Justin Wilson #4 Oriol Servia #18 James Davison #15 Graham Rahal #6 Sebastian Saavedra #16 James Jakes #20 Ed Carpenter #14 Takuma Sato
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 0
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 10
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1