Aug 3, 2013, 1:15 PM EST
Josef Newgarden led Saturday morning’s 45-minute practice for the IZOD IndyCar Series’ Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio. The series sophomore lapped the 2.258-mile Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in 1:06.654 in the No. 67 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing Honda.
Marco Andretti, E.J. Viso, James Hinchcliffe and Justin Wilson rounded out the top five.
The session had a long red flag for an accident by Charlie Kimball in the No. 83 Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing Honda. Kimball lost control through Turn 1 and backed into the tire barriers, temporarily getting airborne, but landing right side up. The car suffered severe damage at the rear, forcing a change to a backup car but not a change of engines.
Qualifying groups are below. The session is green at 2 p.m. ET local time and on NBC Sports Network at 5 p.m. ET later this evening.
It will be a normal qualifying session with the fastest six in each group advancing to the top 12, with the six best there moving into the Firestone Fast Six.
Group 1 Group 2 #9 Scott Dixon #12 Will Power #10 Dario Franchitti #1 Ryan Hunter-Reay #83 Charlie Kimball #98 Luca Filippi #27 James Hinchcliffe #25 Marco Andretti #78 Simona de Silvestro #77 Simon Pagenaud #3 Helio Castroneves #11 Tony Kanaan #67 Josef Newgarden #7 Sebastien Bourdais #5 E.J. Viso #55 Tristan Vautier #19 Justin Wilson #4 Oriol Servia #18 James Davison #15 Graham Rahal #6 Sebastian Saavedra #16 James Jakes #20 Ed Carpenter #14 Takuma Sato
Video from NASCAR America
- LeBron James’ agent involved in Darrell Wallace Jr.’s hunt for sponsorship 1
- Sponsorship woes leave Jeb Burton scrambling again for a NASCAR ride 3
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 14
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 9
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 25
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2