Aug 3, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Ryan Newman was able to keep his hopes of making the Chase for the Sprint Cup alive last weekend with a well-received victory in the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis. Now, he’s looking for one more win in the final six “regular season’ events that he thinks could put him and his No. 39 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet team over the top.
“Another win would be amazing just based on the history of what I’ve seen with the wild cards,” he said on Friday at Pocono Raceway. “Two [wins] is pretty much going to lock you into a [Chase] wild card spot. And we still have a shot. I think we’re 25 [points] out of 10th and there’s still a lot of racing to go.
“It hasn’t changed my mentality other than the fact that it changed, I guess, your hope. It doesn’t change my drive. My drive is to go out and do the exact same thing regardless.”
Sunday’s GoBowling.com 400 at Pocono could be a make-or-break afternoon for Newman, who sits 16th in the standings and third among the drivers in the 11th-20th rankings that have one win; boss/teammate Tony Stewart and Martin Truex Jr. currently hold the two wild-card spots.
Newman will drive the same race car that he took to victory last weekend at Indy, and with that track and Pocono sharing some characteristics, he should be able to enjoy a solid pace. Yesterday, he qualified fourth for Sunday’s race.
“There are no guarantees, but…I feel like we have been able to sharpen up some of the things that we did in the June race here,” said Newman. “We have done a lot of testing since then and obviously a lot of racing, and the Indianapolis race was huge.
“So hopefully, we can make it happen but like I said, there are no guarantees. It is probably the closest back-to-back races that we have in the season that are somewhat similar on the set-up side.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 16
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0
- Could Tony Stewart return to race this weekend at Atlanta? 15
- Report: McLaren trying for Vettel or Alonso 8
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2