Aug 3, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Ticket prices for this year’s Indian Grand Prix have been slashed in an attempt to increase attendance figures for the race at the Buddh International Circuit.
The race has been axed from the 2014 calendar as Formula One continues to enter new markets such as Russia and expand existing ones, with a second race in the United States planned for next year also. Attendance figures for the race just outside of New Delhi, which debuted in 2011, have failed to live up to expectations in the world’s second most-populous country, but this fall in ticket prices could boost sales for the race in October.
A three day general admission ticket for the race has been cut from 3000 rupees to 2000 rupees, equivalent to a fall from $49 to $32 which makes the race one of the cheapest for fans to attend.
Speaking in a statement from the race promoter Jaypee Sports International, Sameer Gaur made the plans clear.
“Formula One lovers now have every reason to cheer as single day race tickets have been launched together with the season tickets in order to draw more and more number of spectators for the race day. With one of the cheapest tickets available on the F1 calendar, we hope to put up another memorable racing weekend at BIC in October.”
Despite the race losing its place on the 2014 calendar, Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed that he plans to bring it back in 2015 towards the beginning of the season.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 87
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 14
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1