Aug 4, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Justin Wilson led Sunday’s morning warmup for the IZOD IndyCar Series’ Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio (3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network).
The driver of the No. 19 Boy Scouts of America Honda for Dale Coyne Racing set his fastest lap on the last lap of the session, at 1:06.9952. Simona de Silvestro was second ahead of Marco Andretti, Will Power and Dario Franchitti.
Polesitter Ryan Hunter-Reay clocked in sixth with Scott Dixon seventh and Helio Castroneves in 16th.
The session featured two red flags, the first when Tristan Vautier had a mechanical issue – whether it was an engine failure or header or exhaust problem is undetermined – but had fire out the back of his No. 55 Angie’s List Honda for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports at Turn 4.
When he attempted to pull the car off course, he lost control on the grass and nosed into the tire barrier. He was OK and though the car damage seemed insignificant, an engine fix is needed. The team had the backup car out with the engine cover exposed.
Additionally, E.J. Viso spun to cause the second red flag.
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)