Aug 4, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Justin Wilson led Sunday’s morning warmup for the IZOD IndyCar Series’ Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio (3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network).
The driver of the No. 19 Boy Scouts of America Honda for Dale Coyne Racing set his fastest lap on the last lap of the session, at 1:06.9952. Simona de Silvestro was second ahead of Marco Andretti, Will Power and Dario Franchitti.
Polesitter Ryan Hunter-Reay clocked in sixth with Scott Dixon seventh and Helio Castroneves in 16th.
The session featured two red flags, the first when Tristan Vautier had a mechanical issue – whether it was an engine failure or header or exhaust problem is undetermined – but had fire out the back of his No. 55 Angie’s List Honda for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports at Turn 4.
When he attempted to pull the car off course, he lost control on the grass and nosed into the tire barrier. He was OK and though the car damage seemed insignificant, an engine fix is needed. The team had the backup car out with the engine cover exposed.
Additionally, E.J. Viso spun to cause the second red flag.
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 2
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2
- ARCA driver Brad Smith recovering from ankle surgery after Talladega wreck 0
- 21 years after his death, the legacy of Ayrton Senna burns as brightly as ever 2
- Honda reveals its super speedway aero kit Thursday at IMS (VIDEO) 9
- Ed Carpenter talks Newgarden’s win and preparing for superspeedway aero kit at Indy 7