Aug 5, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Perhaps the final result wasn’t what she or the KV Racing Technology team was looking for, but for the first time in what seems like months, Simona de Silvestro was closer to the top end of the IZOD IndyCar Series grid at Mid-Ohio.
De Silvestro started ninth and finished 11th after a day spent mostly around the top seven or eight. It’s been a rough stretch for de Silvestro in the No. 78 Nuclear Entergy Areva Chevrolet since a respectable first four races. Over the last nine races prior to Mid-Ohio, she had only two starts better than 17th and two finishes better than 14th.
“It was an ok result. I wish we could have finished a little bit further up, but we didn’t quite have the pace we should have during the second stint,” said the popular Swiss driver. “We were in a bit of traffic in the beginning which didn’t help either. But, I think there are a lot of positive things that we can take away from this race and hopefully we do learn from it. It was good that we were running with the fast guys this weekend; the whole weekend. Now we can just look at the books again and hopefully we’ll do better next one.”
Next up for de Silvestro is Sonoma, a race she actually missed in 2011 after an issue with border patrol while re-entering the U.S., and a race she metaphorically missed in 2012 while saddled with the down on power Lotus engine. Given her pace on the road courses at Barber and Mid-Ohio, it could be a good track for her.
KVRT-SH teammate Tony Kanaan had a miserable Mid-Ohio weekend by contrast. In the last of his four races with Sunoco and “Turbo” sponsorship, Kanaan was the lone retiree on the day.
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 0
- NHRA: Year’s biggest race, the U.S. Nationals, ready to roll 0
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 3
- 2015 Italian Grand Prix Preview 0
- James Hinchcliffe on the comeback trail for IndyCar driving return 1
- Bottas and Massa to remain with Williams for 2016 1
- Here are your TV times for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix on NBCSN, Live Extra 0