Aug 5, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Is Ferrari planning a surprise return to the Le Mans 24 Hours with a fully-fledged LMP1 protoype?
Rumors claim the prancing horse is considering a bit to win the race outright in 2015, which would be 50 years since its most recent triumph at the endurance classic.
A Ferrari spokesperson told Top Gear: “In parallel to our Formula One programme we have always paid close attention to other racing series, currently those run for GT cars, as these provide further opportunities for our technology transfer programme to road cars.
“In the past we also ran special projects, such as the one based on the FXX car and we have many other ideas we are currently working on.”
Ferrari currently competes in the GT category at Le Mans with its 458 Italia. Its AF Corse team won last year’s race with Giancarlo Fisichella, Gianmaria Bruni and Toni Vilander.
From next year Formula One will use 1.6-litre V6 turbo engines which could also be used at Le Mans. Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo welcomed the forthcoming change and said F1 needs to remain relevant for car manufacturers like Ferrari:
“We design and build cars of the very highest order. We will stay in F1 as long as it can be considered a test bed for advanced research, the highest technology and worthwhile for a great company like Ferrari, which is known and appreciated around the world.”
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 0
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 0
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 2
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Who are the new rookies in F1 this season? 1
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)