Aug 5, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Dario Franchitti equaled his best result of the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series season, with his third third-place finish on Sunday at Mid-Ohio. It came after a snap decision by his Target Chip Ganassi Racing crew to follow the lead of teammate Charlie Kimball from the Novo Nordisk camp, who was going flat out on a three-stop strategy.
“As soon as Charlie pitted, it became clear that we were on the wrong strategy and how much quicker you could go if you let loose, so my guys made a decision, a pretty brave decision I think, to change the strategy,” said Franchitti. “They did it probably two or three laps before Scott’s guys, and I think that made a huge difference to where we finished today, so they cut me loose there.”
Anyone betting on Kimball winning before Franchitti in 2013 would have been laughed out of a casino at the start of the year. But Franchitti was quick to note to the methodical improvement of team and driver as they, together, captured their first victories.
“When I first came to the team, Brad (Goldberg) was my assistant engineer with Chris (Simmons), so it was good to see him get that first win,” said Franchitti. “Charlie, his timing, man, he’s been so quick. The job he did at Barber, the job he did this weekend, he wrapped the thing up in Turn 1, and then go straight back on it first run in qualifying like it never happened.
“Especially on, I would say the strength right now on the permanent road courses has been great. He’s learning quickly; he’s a smart guy so he learned quickly. Bit by bit you see him get rid of his weaknesses, and he’s smart and he’s taken full advantage of the fact that he’s a member of the team, the Ganassi team and all the stuff that he’s got available to him, whether it’s experience or the engineering group or equipment at his disposal. He’s taking full advantage of it.”
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2
- ARCA driver Brad Smith recovering from ankle surgery after Talladega wreck 0
- 21 years after his death, the legacy of Ayrton Senna burns as brightly as ever 2
- Honda reveals its super speedway aero kit Thursday at IMS (VIDEO) 9
- Ed Carpenter talks Newgarden’s win and preparing for superspeedway aero kit at Indy 4
- FOM confirms proposed 2016 F1 calendar has been leaked 0