Aug 5, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Mark Webber did not disguise the antipathy between him and team mate Sebastian Vettel when he appeared on BBC’s Top Gear yesterday.
Asked if he will miss Vettel when he leaves Formula One to join the World Endurance Championship next year, Webber said: “Probably not a huge amount, no.”
“I think in a competitive environment obviously there’s always going to be a bit of needle,” he added. “There’s a lot of history between us obviously that’s gone before.”
The pair had the latest in a series of rows in Malaysia this year when Vettel was ordered to hold position behind Webber at the end of the race but refused, and passed his team mate to take the win.
Webber has since announced he will leave F1 at the end of the season. “The time is right for me,” he said. “A bit of a break from what I’ve been doing for the last 14 years. I’m going to race with Porsche.”
He admitted Formula One today has become focused on tire preservation and, from next year, fuel conservation will be play a major role: “It is very different from how it used to be. But that’s the way it is, we’ve got to learn and get on with it and we’re supposed to be at the top of our game.”
“But you’ve got to be able to push. In Formula One it’s about us boys absolutely on the limit all the time. There’s a big regulation change next year, we’re going to have to save fuel.”
Webber also had another go at the series’ popular Star in a Reasonably-Priced Car challenge. Although he wasn’t able to beat Lewis Hamilton’s record lap of 1’42.9, he did beat Vettel with a time of 1’43.1.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 0
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 0
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)