Aug 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Valtteri Bottas believes he can still show what he’s capable of despite Williams suffering a major slump in form this year.
The team which won the Spanish Grand Prix last year has only scored a single point in ten races so far in 2013.
Bottas said the poor form of the FW35 “was a surprise for everyone in the team”.
“No one expected it,” he told Motorsport Monday.
However he believes he can still do justice to his ability in an uncompetitive car: “Maybe it’s not as easy as in a good car because people follow the drivers outside the top ten a bit less,” he said.
“But moments like qualifying in Canada in those difficult conditions, we got everything together and I managed to do well. Even in a bad car you always get one or two opportunities to show what you can do.”
Bottas said his third place on the grid in Montreal was “down to the team effort”.
“I also managed to get a very good lap in when it really mattered. The conditions were changing all the time. I didn’t make any mistakes but the team did such a good job with the set-up and timing.”
He added his feedback from Williams has been good so far: “For me the main thing is that the team knows how well I’m doing. They really know because they see all the data.”
“So far I’ve only heard positive things. With this car that we have I think they’ve been happy with my performance. It’s still my first season in Formula One and I’m still getting better and better.”
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3