Aug 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Valtteri Bottas believes he can still show what he’s capable of despite Williams suffering a major slump in form this year.
The team which won the Spanish Grand Prix last year has only scored a single point in ten races so far in 2013.
Bottas said the poor form of the FW35 “was a surprise for everyone in the team”.
“No one expected it,” he told Motorsport Monday.
However he believes he can still do justice to his ability in an uncompetitive car: “Maybe it’s not as easy as in a good car because people follow the drivers outside the top ten a bit less,” he said.
“But moments like qualifying in Canada in those difficult conditions, we got everything together and I managed to do well. Even in a bad car you always get one or two opportunities to show what you can do.”
Bottas said his third place on the grid in Montreal was “down to the team effort”.
“I also managed to get a very good lap in when it really mattered. The conditions were changing all the time. I didn’t make any mistakes but the team did such a good job with the set-up and timing.”
He added his feedback from Williams has been good so far: “For me the main thing is that the team knows how well I’m doing. They really know because they see all the data.”
“So far I’ve only heard positive things. With this car that we have I think they’ve been happy with my performance. It’s still my first season in Formula One and I’m still getting better and better.”
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 6
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)