Aug 6, 2013, 4:29 PM EST
Max Papis has been named the first injury replacement for Tony Stewart in the No. 14 Stewart Haas Racing Chevrolet for this weekend’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Watkins Glen. The Italian tested for the team at Road Atlanta on July 30, and last raced in NASCAR at the Nationwide Series race at Elkhart Lake’s Road America,
The team announced Stewart, who already had surgery for his leg injuries sustained in a sprint car accident, would need a second surgery.
“The surgery served as a preliminary procedure to stabilize and clean the Grade 2 injury. A second surgery will be necessary. In the meantime, Stewart will remain hospitalized for observation,” a team statement read.
Papis has 35 career Sprint Cup starts with a career-best finish of eighth place at Watkins Glen in 2009.
This weekend at Road America, Papis was slated to compete in the GRAND-AM Rolex Series with R.Ferri/AIM Motorsport in the GT class, in the No. 61 Ferrari F458 GA he co-drove to victory at Indianapolis last race with Jeff Segal. His status for that is yet to be announced.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 1
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 1
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 1
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 21