Aug 6, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
Max Papis has been named the first injury replacement for Tony Stewart in the No. 14 Stewart Haas Racing Chevrolet for this weekend’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Watkins Glen. The Italian tested for the team at Road Atlanta on July 30, and last raced in NASCAR at the Nationwide Series race at Elkhart Lake’s Road America,
The team announced Stewart, who already had surgery for his leg injuries sustained in a sprint car accident, would need a second surgery.
“The surgery served as a preliminary procedure to stabilize and clean the Grade 2 injury. A second surgery will be necessary. In the meantime, Stewart will remain hospitalized for observation,” a team statement read.
Papis has 35 career Sprint Cup starts with a career-best finish of eighth place at Watkins Glen in 2009.
This weekend at Road America, Papis was slated to compete in the GRAND-AM Rolex Series with R.Ferri/AIM Motorsport in the GT class, in the No. 61 Ferrari F458 GA he co-drove to victory at Indianapolis last race with Jeff Segal. His status for that is yet to be announced.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2