Aug 6, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
The first Mazda Road to Indy show on the NBC Sports Network will air overnight tonight, (Wednesday, August 7) at 2 a.m. ET, with a one-hour show on the USF2000 National Championship first half of the season.
This weekend at Mid-Ohio, as in St. Petersburg, Indianapolis (separate tracks between IMS and Lucas Oil Raceway Park) and Toronto, all three rungs of the ladder system were in action.
Gabby Chaves took his first Firestone Indy Lights win and moved to within 15 points of leader Carlos Munoz, who put in a stirring drive to recover from an early off-course excursion. Munoz finished fourth after falling as far back as 10th; he made most of his moves before the lone full course caution of the race. The top five in the standings are separated by just 43 points with three races remaining.
In Pro Mazda, Matthew Brabham’s assault on the record books continued with a sweep of the weekend’s two races, although only one came in the conventional dominant variety. Race two on Sunday, oil on track caused the lone leader to that point, Diego Ferreira, to slide off the road and Brabham snuck through. The wins are Brabham’s eighth and ninth in 12 2013 races, and the ninth sets a new single-season record. Spencer Pigot also impressed with a run from 11th to fourth in race 1 and a fast start from fifth to third in race 2, before dropping to fifth at the flag.
Neil Alberico took the first two USF2000 race wins of the weekend – the first on wet conditions and a seriously damp track, second on a dry one. Meanwhile Sunday’s race barely had the chance to get going after an 11-car pileup at the start of the field. Garett Grist came through to take his first win.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 0
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 1
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0