Aug 6, 2013, 3:47 AM EDT
UPDATE (1:28 p.m. ET): Video of the accident has now been posted to NASCAR.com, and is linked above. There is no immediate timetable set for his return and at the moment, no updates have come from the team on a replacement driver. Five races remain until the Chase for the Sprint Cup begins.
UPDATE (3:47 a.m. ET): Jenna Fryer of The Associated Press, Jeff Gluck of USA Today, and NASCAR.com’s David Caraviello are now relaying word from Stewart-Haas Racing that three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart suffered a broken right tibia and fibula and underwent surgery on his leg following a sprint car crash Monday night at Southern Iowa Speedway in Oskaloosa, Iowa.
Stewart will miss at least this Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen International and a replacement driver has yet to be determined at this time. The Associated Press reports that a further update on Stewart’s condition is expected for later this afternoon, and that SHR has canceled their scheduled test today at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Stewart was leading a 30-lap feature race at SIS when, according to a report from Andy Hamilton of The Des Moines Register, he and two other drivers, Tasker Phillips and Tony Shilling, were collected by a spinning Josh Higday. An awake and alert Stewart was then placed on a stretcher for precautionary reasons and taken to a nearby hospital by ambulance.
Stewart is currently 11th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup championship and one of the two drivers holding Wild Card transfer spots into the Chase for the Sprint Cup with five “regular season” races remaining.
His injury comes one week after he came out unscathed from a scary incident at the Ohsweken Speedway in Canada, which saw Stewart flip multiple times in a sprint car race. He came back and raced at Ohsweken the next night.
More to come…
Video from NASCAR America
- BREAKING NEWS: Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 15
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0
- Could Tony Stewart return to race this weekend at Atlanta? 13
- Report: McLaren trying for Vettel or Alonso 8
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 91