Aug 13, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
In another sign that the next generation of stock car racers is emerging, 20-year-old Ross Kenseth – the son of 2003 NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Matt Kenseth – is preparing to make his first start in the ARCA series.
On Sun., Aug. 25, Ross will drive for short-track legend and Sprint Cup part-timer Ken Schrader at Madison (Wis.) International Speedway. That race, the Herr’s Live Life with Flavor 200, will be aired the following Thursday, Aug. 29, at 11 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
The Madison track is a special place for the Kenseth family; Matt was the 1994 track champion and Ross’ grandfather, Roy, has worked as a race promoter there as well. In addition, Ross has won some races at Madison in various series while working his way up the ranks.
This will be Ross’ first start in a heavier version of a stock car, but he’s naturally excited about the opportunity.
“Making my first ARCA start at Madison means a lot to me,” he said in a statement. “It’s a great opportunity to get in a Ken Schrader Racing car. They always have good stuff, especially at short tracks.”
As for Ross’ father, he believes that “there isn’t a greater place” for the young man to make his ARCA debut.
“That track has meant a lot to us through the years,” said Matt in the same statement. “We both have enjoyed some great times and have won some big races there.
“I really appreciate one of my racing heroes, Ken Schrader, giving Ross a chance and his first start in the ARCA Series. Through the years, I have enjoyed watching a lot of young up-and-coming drivers get their start in ARCA, learn, mature, and eventually climb the ladder to NASCAR’s upper ranks.”
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0
- Hamilton hits back by topping second practice in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg quickest in Malaysia FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble 2
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 2
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2