Aug 15, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Greg Biffle is hoping to pull off a Michigan sweep this weekend that might be enough to get him into the Chase for the Sprint Cup.
Back in June, Biffle gave Ford its historic 1,000th NASCAR victory at MIS, where he’s won four times in his Cup career. But for much of the summer, he’s been hovering around the cutoff line for the Chase, which takes in the Top 10 in the Cup standings plus two Wild Cards that have the most wins out of those drivers in positions 11-20.
Since his win at MIS, Biffle has only collected two Top-10 finishes in the last seven races, and with just four more to go before the Chase begins, the pressure will be on to string together solid results starting this weekend in the Pure Michigan 400. He has the winning car from June as his backup, but will utilize a new chassis as his primary.
“I’m looking forward to Michigan; it would be three in a row if I can pull off another win,” he said in a team statement. “I feel like one more win would lock us into the Chase. Michigan is one of my favorite tracks; it’s a big fast place and has lots of room to race.
“There is always a lot of strategy going on. Fuel mileage and pit stops are very important. We ran better at Pocono and we think we have a chance to win three in a row.”
Biffle sits ninth in the standings but is only two points ahead of 10th-place Martin Truex Jr. going into this weekend.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)