Aug 16, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
The story of McLaren and Jenson Button’s season, has of course, been one of frustration. Finding the balance on this year’s chassis has made it difficult to capture any sort of result, with a single fifth place at China his and the team’s best 2013 result.
Still, Button enters Spa-Francorchamps as defending race winner after a flawless drive a year ago. He avoided the chaos on the start from pole position, and swept through to his first Belgian Grand Prix win.
“I think back to my victory there last year: I had pretty much the perfect weekend – my car was fantastic, I got pole position and just led the whole race,” he said in the team’s weekend advance. “It was one of the most satisfying wins of my career just because I felt strong and confident for the entire weekend.
“The thing about Spa is that it just feels awesome to nail a quick lap around there – you need a car that’s perfectly synced to the driver, because it’s such a long lap, and there are so many big corners, that you need to find that perfect balance. And getting the set-up right – and running flat-out for nearly two minutes – feels incredible.”
With the two-week shop shutdown enforced during the four-week August summer break since Hungary, updates are limited and Button didn’t acknowledge any to come – other than he’ll push every lap to see what kind of rabbit he could pull out of his hat.
“We don’t go to Spa with the package to win, but I’ll still be making the most of every single lap around this place – it’ll still feel incredible,” he said.
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 0
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2