Aug 16, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
The chances of a future IZOD IndyCar Series event on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course may be growing, as IMS president Doug Boles has told Curt Cavin of The Indianapolis Star that at least one IndyCar will test on the circuit in early September.
According to Cavin, the dates of Sept. 4 and 6 are being considered for the road course test. In addition, Boles said that the car will be ran in both directions around the IMS road course.
Formula One went clockwise around the course in its run at IMS in the 2000s, and the track’s MotoGP event (pictured) uses a counter-clockwise layout.
Late last month, Boles mentioned a “conceptual” possibility of an early May doubleheader that featured the IndyCars and the newly-created United SportsCar Racing, which would open festivities leading up to the 98th Indianapolis 500 on Indy’s legendary 2.5-mile oval.
Also, Hulman & Co. president Mark Miles said in May that improvements to the Brickyard’s road course would be made should an IndyCar road race come to pass.
As touched upon by MST colleague Tony DiZinno earlier today, an IndyCar race on the IMS road course may not be everyone’s cup of tea but could work out economically – especially for the IndyCar teams that are based in the Indianapolis area, who would presumably benefit from lower costs.
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- Swan Racing restructures, splits up two-car Sprint Cup operation 0
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 2
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 6
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 5
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)