Aug 16, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
McLaren driver Sergio Perez expects another intense grand prix at Spa-Francorchamps next weekend as Formula One returns after its summer break for the Belgian Grand Prix.
The team has endured a difficult start to the season, currently lying sixth in the constructors’ championship and struggling for outright pace with Jenson Button already writing off any hopes of a McLaren victory at Spa next weekend. However, Perez is pleased with the progress that has been made.
“We had a positive race in Hungary, which was a nice way to end the first half of the season,” Perez explained in a team statement, “Hopefully, it gave everybody within the team the motivation to return to work after the summer break with renewed focus. I’m certainly feeling incredibly strong and refreshed and am really looking forward to getting back into the cockpit and back to work.”
Like many drivers, Perez is a fan of the circuit as it poses a unique challenge thanks to its rapid changes in elevation and high-speed sections.
“It’s such a great place – I love fast corners, and the feeling of taking to the car to the limit around such a big and long circuit is incredible.
“The racing at Spa – particularly with KERS Hybrid and DRS – is usually pretty intense, so I’ll be looking forward to another exciting weekend.”
Perez has failed to finish before in Belgium, retiring from both of his previous grands prix at Spa. However, the Mexican driver did start an impressive P4 for Sauber before being caught-up in the accident at turn one caused by Romain Grosjean, resulting in the Lotus driver receiving a one-race ban.
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 0
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 1
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1