Aug 16, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
McLaren driver Sergio Perez expects another intense grand prix at Spa-Francorchamps next weekend as Formula One returns after its summer break for the Belgian Grand Prix.
The team has endured a difficult start to the season, currently lying sixth in the constructors’ championship and struggling for outright pace with Jenson Button already writing off any hopes of a McLaren victory at Spa next weekend. However, Perez is pleased with the progress that has been made.
“We had a positive race in Hungary, which was a nice way to end the first half of the season,” Perez explained in a team statement, “Hopefully, it gave everybody within the team the motivation to return to work after the summer break with renewed focus. I’m certainly feeling incredibly strong and refreshed and am really looking forward to getting back into the cockpit and back to work.”
Like many drivers, Perez is a fan of the circuit as it poses a unique challenge thanks to its rapid changes in elevation and high-speed sections.
“It’s such a great place – I love fast corners, and the feeling of taking to the car to the limit around such a big and long circuit is incredible.
“The racing at Spa – particularly with KERS Hybrid and DRS – is usually pretty intense, so I’ll be looking forward to another exciting weekend.”
Perez has failed to finish before in Belgium, retiring from both of his previous grands prix at Spa. However, the Mexican driver did start an impressive P4 for Sauber before being caught-up in the accident at turn one caused by Romain Grosjean, resulting in the Lotus driver receiving a one-race ban.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 1
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 5
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1