Aug 17, 2013, 4:17 PM EST
Spain’s Marc Marquez has earned pole position for tomorrow’s MotoGP Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix with a track-record lap of 1 minute, 37.958 seconds around the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Marquez’s lap easily eclipsed the previous mark of 1 minute, 38.313 seconds, which was set by Dani Pedrosa last year.
Honda rider Marquez, who won last month at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, led every practice session of the weekend before besting fellow Spaniards Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha; 1 minute, 38.471 seconds) and defending Indy GP winner Pedrosa (Honda; 1 minute, 38.485 seconds) for the top spot on the grid in qualifying.
Nicky Hayden landed sixth on the grid to lead the Ducati camp and the American contingent of riders. The other Americans, Colin Edwards and wild card entrant Blake Young, will start 12th and 24th, respectively.
One rider that will not be on the grid at Indy will be Ben Spies, who was set to race for the first time since April at Circuit of the Americas but crashed this morning in practice. He suffered a dislocated left shoulder in the incident and will be unable to compete on Sunday.
Last October, Spies underwent season-ending surgery on his right shoulder after injuring it in a crash at the Malaysian round. The effects of that injury had kept him out from Jerez in May all the way up to this weekend at Indy.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)