Aug 17, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Three-time Formula One world champion Niki Lauda has warned Red Bull against signing Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso, believing that he would bring nothing but trouble to the team.
Rumors suggesting that Alonso could be angling a move to the champion team began to circulate after the Hungarian Grand Prix. Alonso publicly criticized the Ferrari design team over the F138 car after he struggled to fifth in the race, earning himself a rebuke from team president Luca di Montezemolo. Furthermore, the Spaniard’s manager had been spotted talking to Red Bull boss Christian Horner, suggesting a move could be on the cards. However, Lauda believes that Red Bull would be unwise to hire Alonso.
“He would only bring trouble to the team,” Lauda told German publication Auto Motor und Sport. “With probably four world championships in Vettel, Red Bull has the luxury to look at the benefits of Raikkonen or Ricciardo.
“One is the better solution in the short term, the other in the long term. In the end they can take a risk. But not Ferrari.”
Pairing Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso together could prove to be a disastrous move for Red Bull. In 2007, Alonso was joined at McLaren by then-rookie Lewis Hamilton, and the pace of the Briton proved to be too much as Alonso demanded the ‘number one’ status within the team. Eventually, both drivers missed out on the title and Alonso left McLaren after just one season.
Red Bull are expected to make an announcement regarding their driver line up in the next few weeks.
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 2
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 2
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 1
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13
- DiZinno: Justin Wilson’s enduring legacy, positive spirit loom as large as his frame 2