Aug 17, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Three-time Formula One world champion Niki Lauda has warned Red Bull against signing Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso, believing that he would bring nothing but trouble to the team.
Rumors suggesting that Alonso could be angling a move to the champion team began to circulate after the Hungarian Grand Prix. Alonso publicly criticized the Ferrari design team over the F138 car after he struggled to fifth in the race, earning himself a rebuke from team president Luca di Montezemolo. Furthermore, the Spaniard’s manager had been spotted talking to Red Bull boss Christian Horner, suggesting a move could be on the cards. However, Lauda believes that Red Bull would be unwise to hire Alonso.
“He would only bring trouble to the team,” Lauda told German publication Auto Motor und Sport. “With probably four world championships in Vettel, Red Bull has the luxury to look at the benefits of Raikkonen or Ricciardo.
“One is the better solution in the short term, the other in the long term. In the end they can take a risk. But not Ferrari.”
Pairing Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso together could prove to be a disastrous move for Red Bull. In 2007, Alonso was joined at McLaren by then-rookie Lewis Hamilton, and the pace of the Briton proved to be too much as Alonso demanded the ‘number one’ status within the team. Eventually, both drivers missed out on the title and Alonso left McLaren after just one season.
Red Bull are expected to make an announcement regarding their driver line up in the next few weeks.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)