Aug 18, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT
A bad final restart may have kept Kevin Harvick from a potential win today in the Pure Michigan 400 at Michigan International Speedway.
Just after the field got the green flag with 23 laps remaining, Harvick (who restarted second alongside then-leader Mark Martin) found himself in the middle of a three-wide battle going into Turn 1 with eventual race winner Joey Logano on the inside and Kurt Busch on the outside.
That came about because Harvick was forced to slow down to keep himself from crossing the start-finish line ahead of Martin, which would’ve likely ended his chances of victory with a restart violation.
“I just mistimed that last restart there,” said Harvick. “I was rolling pretty good on the 55 [Martin] and I was going to beat him to the start/finish line, so I had to check up and that allowed the 22 [Logano] to kind of make it three-wide and get under me and then we had to fight back from there.”
Logano and Busch were able to get past Harvick, and while the Richard Childress Racing driver was able to re-take second from Busch in the closing laps, he was unable to chase down Logano after Martin ran out of fuel with three to go.
But at fourth in the standings, he is still well on his way to clinching a berth in the Chase for the Sprint Cup. So, for him, these final ‘regular season’ races are all about getting ready for the ten-race playoff run.
In that regard, he believes that he can be a contender for the championship with more performances like the one he and his No. 29 Richard Childress Racing team had today.
“[The team] did a great job today and I think everybody was on their game,” he said. “So, I think as long as we run like that every week and finish in the Top-5 every week, we’ll have a shot.”
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)