Aug 18, 2013, 6:34 PM EST
A bad final restart may have kept Kevin Harvick from a potential win today in the Pure Michigan 400 at Michigan International Speedway.
Just after the field got the green flag with 23 laps remaining, Harvick (who restarted second alongside then-leader Mark Martin) found himself in the middle of a three-wide battle going into Turn 1 with eventual race winner Joey Logano on the inside and Kurt Busch on the outside.
That came about because Harvick was forced to slow down to keep himself from crossing the start-finish line ahead of Martin, which would’ve likely ended his chances of victory with a restart violation.
“I just mistimed that last restart there,” said Harvick. “I was rolling pretty good on the 55 [Martin] and I was going to beat him to the start/finish line, so I had to check up and that allowed the 22 [Logano] to kind of make it three-wide and get under me and then we had to fight back from there.”
Logano and Busch were able to get past Harvick, and while the Richard Childress Racing driver was able to re-take second from Busch in the closing laps, he was unable to chase down Logano after Martin ran out of fuel with three to go.
But at fourth in the standings, he is still well on his way to clinching a berth in the Chase for the Sprint Cup. So, for him, these final ‘regular season’ races are all about getting ready for the ten-race playoff run.
In that regard, he believes that he can be a contender for the championship with more performances like the one he and his No. 29 Richard Childress Racing team had today.
“[The team] did a great job today and I think everybody was on their game,” he said. “So, I think as long as we run like that every week and finish in the Top-5 every week, we’ll have a shot.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4