Aug 19, 2013, 1:34 PM EDT
Two former open-wheel rivals, Michael Andretti and Juan Pablo Montoya, may join forces in the IZOD IndyCar Series if sponsorship can be found for the latter.
Montoya (pictured), the 1999 CART champion and 2000 Indianapolis 500 winner, was recently told by Earnhardt Ganassi Racing that he would not be back in their No. 42 Sprint Cup drive in 2014 after a seven-year run in stock cars.
With the Colombian now on the hunt for a new gig, everything’s on the table – including a return to IndyCar. And according to The Associated Press, Andretti has reached out to him about just that.
“I have talked to Juan about IndyCar and told him ‘Hell yeah, let’s find a way to put something together,'” Andretti told the AP’s Jenna Fryer on Monday. “I’ve driven against him and I think he’s one of the best drivers I’ve ever driven against.
“It just comes down to sponsorship. So we’re looking, and if it’s a possibility, we want to do something with him.”
Andretti’s discussions with Montoya will add even more attention to the future plans of four-time IndyCar champs Andretti Autosport.
James Hinchcliffe is in the final year of his contract with the team, and it’s defintely possible that the Canadian fan favorite – who has won three times in 2013 – could head off to another squad.
Fryer reports that AA is also trying to create a deal for Carlos Munoz, who made a name for himself after finishing runner-up in this past May’s Indianapolis 500.
Needless to say, there’s a lot of work ahead for the team to get everything sorted out.
Video from NASCAR America
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 1
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2