Aug 19, 2013, 1:34 PM EDT
Two former open-wheel rivals, Michael Andretti and Juan Pablo Montoya, may join forces in the IZOD IndyCar Series if sponsorship can be found for the latter.
Montoya (pictured), the 1999 CART champion and 2000 Indianapolis 500 winner, was recently told by Earnhardt Ganassi Racing that he would not be back in their No. 42 Sprint Cup drive in 2014 after a seven-year run in stock cars.
With the Colombian now on the hunt for a new gig, everything’s on the table – including a return to IndyCar. And according to The Associated Press, Andretti has reached out to him about just that.
“I have talked to Juan about IndyCar and told him ‘Hell yeah, let’s find a way to put something together,'” Andretti told the AP’s Jenna Fryer on Monday. “I’ve driven against him and I think he’s one of the best drivers I’ve ever driven against.
“It just comes down to sponsorship. So we’re looking, and if it’s a possibility, we want to do something with him.”
Andretti’s discussions with Montoya will add even more attention to the future plans of four-time IndyCar champs Andretti Autosport.
James Hinchcliffe is in the final year of his contract with the team, and it’s defintely possible that the Canadian fan favorite – who has won three times in 2013 – could head off to another squad.
Fryer reports that AA is also trying to create a deal for Carlos Munoz, who made a name for himself after finishing runner-up in this past May’s Indianapolis 500.
Needless to say, there’s a lot of work ahead for the team to get everything sorted out.
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 0
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3