Aug 19, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Bernie Ecclestone continues to deny he bribed German banker Gerhard Gribkowsky as more details of the charges he faces have emerged.
According to The Telegraph the indictment Ecclestone has been served by German prosecutors Ecclestone was put under “pressure” by Gribkowsky who threatened to tell the UK tax authority HM Revenue and Customs that Ecclestone was in charge of the Bambino Trust which, if true, would have required him to pay tax on the $4bn it holds.
Ecclestone claims he paid Gribkowsky $44m to prevent him from making the false allegation which could have caused HMRC to investigate his business affairs at considerable time and expense.
He denies the money was a bribe intended to facilitate the 2006 sale of Formula One to CVC Capital Partners while retaining him as chief executive of the sport.
The indictment adds Gribkowsky’s claims “did not, however, present a real threat for separate tax treatment of the accused and the Bambino Trust on the part of the British tax authorities, since Dr Gribkowsky and BayernLB had no specific proof of any such connection”.
It also claims Ecclestone persuaded CVC co-founder, Donald Mackenzie, to revise his valuation of Formula One from $1bn to $2bn. A decision on whether the case will go to trial is expected after Ecclestone’s legal team make their formal submissions next month.
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 0
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
- Ricciardo Australian GP disqualification upheld by FIA 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- Clint Bowyer hits ‘white-of-your-eyes-fast’ speed of 217 mph in tire test at Michigan (13)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)