Aug 19, 2013, 3:47 PM EST
Floyd Ganassi, father of Chip Ganassi, passed away Monday. Chip Ganassi’s teams have become part of the motorsports institution over the last 20-plus years, and a fixture atop the leaderboard in American open-wheel racing. Floyd was an integral part of it all, as he took a wealth of pictures at IndyCar races over the years.
A statement from Chip Ganassi Racing Teams reads as follows, with a note at the end that information regarding arrangements will be forthcoming:
“It is with heavy hearts that everyone at Chip Ganassi Racing Teams offers our condolences to Chip Ganassi and the whole Ganassi family on the passing today of Chip’s father, Floyd Ganassi. Everyone that knew Floyd knew that he was beloved at racetracks all across the country and leaves a long trail of great friends. Floyd Ganassi will be sorely missed by us all.”
There’s already been a handful of tweets that have started rolling in in tribute. One from former CGR Teams driver Graham Rahal said, “RIP Floyd Ganassi. One of the greatest all around men you will ever meet. I cherished the time spent with him. He will certainly be missed.”
More details will follow.
- Rick Allen named lead NASCAR announcer for NBC Sports 1
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement 10
- 2014 F1 schedule finalized without New Jersey, Mexico, and Korea 0
- Jeff Burton joins NBC Sports as NASCAR analyst 2
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN 6
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)
- Stewart: There’s “a lot of potential” for Danica Patrick (7)
- FIA considering pole trophy and permanent numbers (6)