Aug 19, 2013, 3:47 PM EDT
Floyd Ganassi, father of Chip Ganassi, passed away Monday. Chip Ganassi’s teams have become part of the motorsports institution over the last 20-plus years, and a fixture atop the leaderboard in American open-wheel racing. Floyd was an integral part of it all, as he took a wealth of pictures at IndyCar races over the years.
A statement from Chip Ganassi Racing Teams reads as follows, with a note at the end that information regarding arrangements will be forthcoming:
“It is with heavy hearts that everyone at Chip Ganassi Racing Teams offers our condolences to Chip Ganassi and the whole Ganassi family on the passing today of Chip’s father, Floyd Ganassi. Everyone that knew Floyd knew that he was beloved at racetracks all across the country and leaves a long trail of great friends. Floyd Ganassi will be sorely missed by us all.”
There’s already been a handful of tweets that have started rolling in in tribute. One from former CGR Teams driver Graham Rahal said, “RIP Floyd Ganassi. One of the greatest all around men you will ever meet. I cherished the time spent with him. He will certainly be missed.”
More details will follow.
- Bourdais quickest in opening practice at Mid-Ohio 0
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 1
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1