Aug 19, 2013, 3:47 PM EDT
Floyd Ganassi, father of Chip Ganassi, passed away Monday. Chip Ganassi’s teams have become part of the motorsports institution over the last 20-plus years, and a fixture atop the leaderboard in American open-wheel racing. Floyd was an integral part of it all, as he took a wealth of pictures at IndyCar races over the years.
A statement from Chip Ganassi Racing Teams reads as follows, with a note at the end that information regarding arrangements will be forthcoming:
“It is with heavy hearts that everyone at Chip Ganassi Racing Teams offers our condolences to Chip Ganassi and the whole Ganassi family on the passing today of Chip’s father, Floyd Ganassi. Everyone that knew Floyd knew that he was beloved at racetracks all across the country and leaves a long trail of great friends. Floyd Ganassi will be sorely missed by us all.”
There’s already been a handful of tweets that have started rolling in in tribute. One from former CGR Teams driver Graham Rahal said, “RIP Floyd Ganassi. One of the greatest all around men you will ever meet. I cherished the time spent with him. He will certainly be missed.”
More details will follow.
- WATCH LIVE: Italian GP qualifying on NBCSN and Live Extra from 8am ET 0
- Hamilton completes practice clean sweep at Monza 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Italian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Off The Grid: Silverstone preview (premieres 9/6 on NBCSN) 0
- Hamilton quickest again in second Italian GP practice 2
- Hamilton leads Mercedes one-two in Italian GP FP1 1
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 1