Aug 19, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Esteban Gutierrez believes his Sauber is capable of a top ten finish in this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix.
Gutierrez is is yet to score the first points of his maiden F1 campaign. Team mate Nico Hulkenberg, who has out-qualified him in all ten rounds so far, has scored in four races so far including two of the last three.
Sauber’s rookie driver said the previous race had shown his car was capable of reaching the top ten: “Obviously qualifying in Hungary was not good, because of the time we lost in [final practice],” he said.
“But I think we can manage to get into the position we were expecting, which is around P10 in Spa-Francorchamps.”
Gutierrez is relishing his first taste of how a Formula One car performs on the much-loved Belgian track: “It is one of the tracks that I enjoy driving the most, because it has a lot of quick corners and it just flows.”
“You can feel the limits of the car at really high speeds. One lap is quite long and sometimes you even face varying weather conditions in different parts of the track – on one side it might be raining, while the other side might be dry. This makes it very challenging and interesting.”
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 2
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 5