Aug 19, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Kimi Raikkonen will not join Red Bull in 2014, his manager has confirmed.
Steve Robertson told Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat talks between his driver and Red Bull were at an end.
The news is a further indication that Red Bull development driver and Toro Rosso pilot Daniel Ricciardo will take over the seat which currently belongs to fellow Australian Mark Webber. Ricciardo drove the team’s current car at the Young Drivers’ Test at Silverstone last month.
With no seats available at McLaren or Mercedes next year the only remaining team on the grid which Raikkonen could join next year which would represent a step forward over his current employer is Ferrari. Raikkonen drove for the team between 2007 and 2009, winning the world championship in his first season with them, before being replaced by Fernando Alonso.
Ferrari present Luca di Montezemolo has previously said he does not want “two roosters in the same hen house” at his team, so it is doubtful Ferrari would accommodate two world champions. Alonso is contracted to the team until 2016.
That makes it likely Raikkonen will extend his current contract with Lotus. He returned to F1 with the team last year and won the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. He began his second season at Lotus with a victory in Australia and is currently second in the drivers’ championship.
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)
- Mark Miles talks about the road ahead for IndyCar (8)