Aug 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Red Bull’s position on F1′s tires in 2013 has been vindicated, according to team principal Christian Horner.
The team repeatedly criticized the softer tires introduced by Pirelli at the start of the year. They were eventually changed following a series of failures at the British Grand Prix.
“Our comments about the tires were consistent all the way from Melbourne to Silverstone,” Horner told Autosport.
“Nothing changed even though we’ve managed to win three races up to that point, we felt that they were too marginal and that it wasn’t right for the drivers to having to drive so far within themselves and there were issues with the tires sustaining damage.”
Pirelli made temporary revisions to the tires for the German Grand Prix then underwent more substantial revisions in time for the last race in Hungary. Horner believes the alterations have been for the good of the sport:
“I think with the changes that have been made recently, really since Montreal, we have seen the drivers being able to push much harder in the races and really test each other.”
Horner added other teams had privately expressed concerns about the tires before Silverstone but did not make the same criticisms in public. “We were just being honest; we weren’t hiding behind the issue and being politically correct,” he said.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)