Aug 19, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Ty Dillon, younger brother of Austin Dillon, will move to the NASCAR Nationwide Series full-time in 2014 with Richard Childress Racing, the No. 3 Chevrolet currently driven by his older brother. No mention was made of Austin Dillon’s 2014 plans in a team release.
He’s barely 21 – he only turned 21 this past February 27 – but he’ll have sponsorship support from Yuengling Brewery for eight races. It’s the first time Yuengling has partnered with a NASCAR team, and it’s interesting they’ve picked someone barely of legal drinking age as a driver.
“Ty Dillon is a perfect match for us to help introduce our Light Lager brand to loyal NASCAR fans wherever Yuengling is sold,” Lou Romano, Director of Marketing and Wholesaler Development for Yuengling, said in the release. “He’s not only a strong competitor on the track, but shares many of the same interests as Yuengling drinkers. Ty is an avid sports fan, outdoor enthusiast and holds close family ties.”
This isn’t as high-up on the NASCAR silly season totem pole as asking where Kurt Busch, Ryan Newman and Juan Pablo Montoya will land. But the indication that Ty Dillon will be in the 3 car is a very good sign that Austin will make the full-time leap to Cup in 2014, likely with RCR, and be eligible for Rookie-of-the-Year honors.
Although Austin Dillon has made 7 Cup starts this year, he retains rookie status as he has designated the Nationwide Series as the only series where he is eligible to score points.
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3