Aug 19, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Ty Dillon, younger brother of Austin Dillon, will move to the NASCAR Nationwide Series full-time in 2014 with Richard Childress Racing, the No. 3 Chevrolet currently driven by his older brother. No mention was made of Austin Dillon’s 2014 plans in a team release.
He’s barely 21 – he only turned 21 this past February 27 – but he’ll have sponsorship support from Yuengling Brewery for eight races. It’s the first time Yuengling has partnered with a NASCAR team, and it’s interesting they’ve picked someone barely of legal drinking age as a driver.
“Ty Dillon is a perfect match for us to help introduce our Light Lager brand to loyal NASCAR fans wherever Yuengling is sold,” Lou Romano, Director of Marketing and Wholesaler Development for Yuengling, said in the release. “He’s not only a strong competitor on the track, but shares many of the same interests as Yuengling drinkers. Ty is an avid sports fan, outdoor enthusiast and holds close family ties.”
This isn’t as high-up on the NASCAR silly season totem pole as asking where Kurt Busch, Ryan Newman and Juan Pablo Montoya will land. But the indication that Ty Dillon will be in the 3 car is a very good sign that Austin will make the full-time leap to Cup in 2014, likely with RCR, and be eligible for Rookie-of-the-Year honors.
Although Austin Dillon has made 7 Cup starts this year, he retains rookie status as he has designated the Nationwide Series as the only series where he is eligible to score points.
- WATCH: IndyCar qualifying from Barber at 5 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0
- Racing community reflects on the loss of Fox Sports’ broadcaster Steve Byrnes 8