Aug 20, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Nico Hulkenberg doubts Russian youngster Sergey Sitorkin will be able to make enough progress in time to be fully ready for an F1 debut in 2014.
The 17-year-old has no F1 experience but is under consideration by Sauber for a race seat in 2014 after they gained backing from several Russian organisations.
“Me, I wasn’t ready for Formula One at that point,” Hulkenberg told Autosport, echoing similar comments made by Lewis Hamilton last month. “It is ambitious, maybe a bit risky, but it’s not my decision.”
Sirotkin, who turns 18 next week, would be the youngest driver ever to start an F1 race if he made his debut at the beginning of next season.
He is yet to gain his F1 superlicence, for which he requires 186 miles (300km) of running in an F1 car. But with the Young Drivers’ Test having already passed his opportunities to do so before testing for next year’s season begins are limited.
Hulkenberg acknowledged Sirotkin had little opportunity to build up his F1 experience: “He will keep on racing in Formula Renault [3.5], beyond that he could do lots of simulator running, but that isn’t real life, and Sauber does not have a simulator so that is not an option.”
Sirotkin is visiting the Sauber factory today and tomorrow.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 0
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 0
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1