Aug 20, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Former F1 team principal turned pundit Eddie Jordan believes Raikkonen is seeking a return to Ferrari, who he last drove for in 2009.
Raikkonen lost his seat to Fernando Alonso for 2010. However Jordan claims there are elements within Ferrari who want to bring him back as Alonso’s team mate. However president Luca di Montezemolo has spoken against pairing two top drivers in the past.
Ferrari traditionally make decisions about their driver line-up at the Italian Grand Prix. However last year they waited until October before confirming Felipe Massa would remain in their squad.
Massa’s position at the team is in doubt again after another patchy season to date in which he has once again scored less than half the points score achieved by his team mate.
There are also claims the Red Bull door may not be closed to Raikkonen yet. According to Sky, Raikkonen’s team will meet with Red Bull for a final round of talks at this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix.
Lotus team principal Eric Boullier has not given up hope of retaining his driver, but admitted to Autosport they could not afford to keep him at any price: “I would like to keep him, to be honest, but I want to keep him with the right conditions.”
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3