Aug 20, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Ryan was slated to make his first Cup start earlier this season for Phoenix at the Richmond spring race, but broke his collarbone around Easter and was unable to compete. Earlier this summer, he signed with Richard Petty Motorsports’ developmental program.
RPM is still looking for funding that can enable them to run Truex regularly, but are supporting him as he prepares for a formidable first challenge: Bristol’s infamous, high-banked half-mile.
“I’m excited to make my NASCAR Sprint Cup Series debut at Bristol,” said Truex in a statement from RPM. “It has been tough waiting on the sidelines while I healed from my collarbone injury, but now I am ready to go and make my Sprint Cup Series debut.
“It’s pretty awesome that it’s coming at Bristol at the night race – this is a premier race on the Sprint Cup circuit. To have Richard Petty Motorsports and Phoenix Racing support me in this endeavor really means a lot. I’m excited for the rest of this year and my future with RPM.”
Ryan has raced part-time in the NASCAR Nationwide Series for the last few seasons and is a past champion of the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East.
However, he has only raced once this year in any of the “Big Three” NASCAR national series – the Camping World Truck Series’ season-opener at Daytona International Speedway, in which he finished 28th because of a crash.
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 6
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)