Aug 21, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali played down speculation about future changes in the team’s driver line-up and said they were concentrating on improving their car.
“We have spelt it out many times before: the driver topic is definitely not a priority,” said Domenicali, addressing staff in Maranello. Rumors linked Kimi Raikkonen to a return to the team he drove for between 2007 and 2009. There are also question marks over Felipe Massa’s future at Ferrari as his 2013 campaign continues to disappoint.
Domenicali wants his team’s focus to be on the car, not its drivers. “What counts is to give them the best possible chance of finishing ahead of everyone and, in order to succeed, each and every one of us must do our job to the best of our ability on all levels,” he said.
“If they have a winning car in their hands, then I am convinced they will know how to win with it. If we all believe, then we can do it!”
Domenicali urged his employees to keep the faith in their cause: “I don’t want to see any of you not believing in our fightback: each one of you must be the link in a chain of positivity that must drive the team along in what is a key moment in the season.”
“We are Ferrari and history teaches us that we must never accept we are beaten. There is much talk outside the company regarding the future, but we must concentrate only on the present, on the fight for the championship.
“The words of our president before the summer break must serve as a stimulus, because they were meant as the words of a good family father, who, first and foremost really roots for our team: keep those words in mind and let’s all pull together, starting in Spa.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52