Aug 21, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Nico Hulkenberg admits his move to Sauber has been “not as expected” but says he doesn’t regret the decision.
Speaking to Autsoport, Hulkenberg said “I made a move that maybe in hindsight doesn’t look so good.”
“But it’s a challenge for me to keep up and still keep doing my best.”
Hulkenberg left Force India for Sauber at the end of last season. He led his last race for his previous team for 30 laps before tangling with Lewis Hamilton and retiring.
But his move to Sauber, who scored four podium finishes last year, coincided with a downturn in the team’s fortunes. They have scored just seven points so far this season – all courtesy of Hulkenberg – whereas after ten races last year they had 80.
Hulkenberg made his F1 debut with Williams in 2010 but despite scoring pole position for them in Brazil was unable to keep his place at the team as they needed a driver who could bring backing. He has started all three of his F1 campaigns with different teams, and is yet to decide who he will drive for next year.
However he admitted he could remain at his current team: “Me and my manager are looking at all the possible options, including Sauber,” said Hulkenberg. “We’re some way away from making a decision.”