Aug 21, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
For the first time since engine competition returned to the IZOD IndyCar Series last year, Honda has the chance to lead the Manufacturer’s Championship instead of Chevrolet.
The two enter this weekend’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (4 p.m. EST, Sunday, NBCSN) tied on 105 points apiece, each with seven wins through the first 14 races.
Five races remain and whichever manufacturer wins three of the last five will take the title. Honda is riding a four-race winning streak on the strength of partner team Chip Ganassi Racing, three straight by Scott Dixon at Pocono and both Toronto races, with Charlie Kimball scoring his first win at Mid-Ohio last race.
Team Penske, Chevrolet’s generally accepted “lead dog” (along with Andretti Autosport), has won the last three races at Sonoma with Will Power in 2010 and 2011, and Ryan Briscoe a year ago.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0