Aug 21, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
For the first time since engine competition returned to the IZOD IndyCar Series last year, Honda has the chance to lead the Manufacturer’s Championship instead of Chevrolet.
The two enter this weekend’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (4 p.m. EST, Sunday, NBCSN) tied on 105 points apiece, each with seven wins through the first 14 races.
Five races remain and whichever manufacturer wins three of the last five will take the title. Honda is riding a four-race winning streak on the strength of partner team Chip Ganassi Racing, three straight by Scott Dixon at Pocono and both Toronto races, with Charlie Kimball scoring his first win at Mid-Ohio last race.
Team Penske, Chevrolet’s generally accepted “lead dog” (along with Andretti Autosport), has won the last three races at Sonoma with Will Power in 2010 and 2011, and Ryan Briscoe a year ago.
Video from NASCAR America
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ponders a 24-hour NASCAR race 0
- ‘Do you get mad when your boyfriend wrecks you?’ Danica Patrick faces kids’ pressing questions 3
- Jeff Gordon to serve as NASCAR TV analyst this season 12
- Ganassi’s No. 02 Riley-Ford Scores Rolex 24 Victory 3
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2