Aug 21, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
For the first time since engine competition returned to the IZOD IndyCar Series last year, Honda has the chance to lead the Manufacturer’s Championship instead of Chevrolet.
The two enter this weekend’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (4 p.m. EST, Sunday, NBCSN) tied on 105 points apiece, each with seven wins through the first 14 races.
Five races remain and whichever manufacturer wins three of the last five will take the title. Honda is riding a four-race winning streak on the strength of partner team Chip Ganassi Racing, three straight by Scott Dixon at Pocono and both Toronto races, with Charlie Kimball scoring his first win at Mid-Ohio last race.
Team Penske, Chevrolet’s generally accepted “lead dog” (along with Andretti Autosport), has won the last three races at Sonoma with Will Power in 2010 and 2011, and Ryan Briscoe a year ago.
Video from NASCAR America
- Police release report on wreck of brand new $60,000, 707-hp 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat 6
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 7 – Brad Keselowski’s six wins, but falls short of Championship Round 0
- Looking back on motorsports’ 2014 “Festivus” moments 2
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 1
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 8
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED – Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 54