Aug 22, 2013, 6:15 PM EST
Romain Grosjean has said that losing Kimi Raikkonen as a teammate in 2014 would be a shame even if it mean that he would become team leader at Lotus.
Raikkonen is rumored to be angling for a move to another team amid reports of financial crisis at Lotus, but his chances with Red Bull appear to be over after his manager revealed earlier this week that talks with the world champions had ended. However, Ferrari’s Felipe Massa is out of contract come the end of the season, sparking rumors that the Finn could yet return to Maranello despite leaving on uneasy terms in 2009. However, Grosjean is hoping that Raikkonen remains with Lotus.
“Well, I always say that losing Kimi would be a loss for the team, he’s very good, he’s a World Champion, it’s good to have him as a teammate,” the Frenchman explained in the FIA press conference.
If Raikkonen were to walk away from the team after two seasons in Enstone, Grosjean does feel that it would be his responsibility to take the team leader role and gun for race wins, relying he is re-signed for 2014.
“We push each other to the limit but if he leaves then we still have to do the job and to try to win races and score a lot of points. So at the moment I think we have a good way of working together but yeah, if he leaves then I would be more than happy to get the deal and try to keep Lotus where it is or still improve.”
Grosjean’s recent form suggests that he has the makings of a grand prix winner, having come close at the German Grand Prix where he led early on but eventually dropped to P3 come the chequered flag. However, quite whether he has done enough to lose the ‘crash kid’ label he received from many last season remains to be see.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 1
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1