Aug 22, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Romain Grosjean has said that losing Kimi Raikkonen as a teammate in 2014 would be a shame even if it mean that he would become team leader at Lotus.
Raikkonen is rumored to be angling for a move to another team amid reports of financial crisis at Lotus, but his chances with Red Bull appear to be over after his manager revealed earlier this week that talks with the world champions had ended. However, Ferrari’s Felipe Massa is out of contract come the end of the season, sparking rumors that the Finn could yet return to Maranello despite leaving on uneasy terms in 2009. However, Grosjean is hoping that Raikkonen remains with Lotus.
“Well, I always say that losing Kimi would be a loss for the team, he’s very good, he’s a World Champion, it’s good to have him as a teammate,” the Frenchman explained in the FIA press conference.
If Raikkonen were to walk away from the team after two seasons in Enstone, Grosjean does feel that it would be his responsibility to take the team leader role and gun for race wins, relying he is re-signed for 2014.
“We push each other to the limit but if he leaves then we still have to do the job and to try to win races and score a lot of points. So at the moment I think we have a good way of working together but yeah, if he leaves then I would be more than happy to get the deal and try to keep Lotus where it is or still improve.”
Grosjean’s recent form suggests that he has the makings of a grand prix winner, having come close at the German Grand Prix where he led early on but eventually dropped to P3 come the chequered flag. However, quite whether he has done enough to lose the ‘crash kid’ label he received from many last season remains to be see.
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 0
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)