Aug 23, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has been left frustrated after a difficult day of practice sessions at Spa-Francorchamps ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix this weekend.
The Mercedes driver, who claimed his first win for the German team last time out in Hungary, could only finish fifteenth and twelfth in FP1 and FP2 respectively as the team focused on long-run pace for the race on Sunday. However, Hamilton admitted that he was expecting far more from the Friday sessions.
“It’s not particularly been a tough day, it’s just not been a good day,” Hamilton explained.
Wet weather meant that most of the first free practice session was lost, and the Briton explained how this only complicated matters further.
“The weather this morning hampered everyone a little bit. I don’t feel that we started off on the right foot. We need to make some changes this evening but we still have time. At the moment it’s a long way off, but we’ll find the time.”
Hamilton also rejected any notions suggesting that Mercedes were hiding their pace during Friday practice this season.
“It’s not the case, we’re just usually lost on Friday and find our way on Saturday.”
The British driver has one Belgian Grand Prix victory to his name, taming the tricky conditions in 2010 to claim victory. If he were to win this weekend, it may keep his slim hopes of winning the championship alive, but it would take a remarkable turnaround to see Sebastian Vettel relinquish his 38 point lead at the top.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3