Aug 23, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Ryan Hunter-Reay parlayed his testing pace at Sonoma into the fastest time in Friday’s first official practice session for the IZOD IndyCar Series’ GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (4 p.m. EST, Sunday, NBCSN). The Andretti Autosport driver lapped the 2.3-mile Sonoma Raceway at 1:18.6814 as he seeks his third win of the season, and second on a permanent road course (Barber) this year.
Helio Castroneves (Team Penske) and Dario Franchitti (Target Chip Ganassi Racing) were next up at 1:18.6976 and 1:18.8124, respectively in the 45-minute session. All three went out fairly late in the session before setting their fastest laps. Temperatures increased from 64 (ambient) and 92 (track) degrees Fahrenheit to 67 and 98 by the end of the session.
RHR’s Andretti Autosport teammate Marco Andretti, 2006 Sonoma winner, clocked in fourth ahead of Ryan Briscoe, for Panther Racing.
Of note, JR Hildebrand was ninth in his first official session for Barracuda Racing, James Davison was 19th and Lucas Luhr 25th among the part-time entries.
The second practice session from Sonoma occurs at 5 p.m. EST (2 p.m. PST and local time) later Friday afternoon.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3