Aug 23, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
INDYCAR issued a fresh engine update prior to this weekend’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (4 p.m. EST, Sunday, NBCSN). All cars but one are either on their fourth or fifth engines. Once teams change to a sixth, further penalties will apply.
There have not been the same number of engine grid penalties issued this year as last, but there are still five races remaining. Thus far, Andretti Autosport, Team Penske, KV Racing Technology, A.J. Foyt Enterprises and Barracuda Racing have only had one engine penalty issued for unapproved changes. Panther Racing, Dragon Racing, and Ed Carpenter Racing have yet to be hit with one. All other teams have two or more; Chip Ganassi Racing, between its three cars, has taken a series-high six grid penalties.
The breakdown as issued by INDYCAR is below:
CAR ENTRANT DRIVER ENGINE STATUS No. 1 Andretti Autosport Ryan Hunter-Reay On Engine #4 No. 3 Team Penske Helio Castroneves On Engine #5 No. 4 Panther Racing Ryan Briscoe On Engine #4 No. 5 Team Venezuela-Andretti Autosport-HVM E.J. Viso On Engine #4 No. 6 Dragon Racing Sebastian Saavedra On Engine #4 No. 7 Dragon Racing Sebastien Bourdais On Engine #4 No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Scott Dixon On Engine #4 No. 10 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Dario Franchitti On Engine #5 No. 11 KV Racing Technology Tony Kanaan On Engine #4 No. 12 Team Penske Will Power On Engine #4 No. 14 A.J. Foyt Enterprises Takuma Sato On Engine #4 No. 15 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Graham Rahal On Engine #5 No. 16 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing James Jakes On Engine #5 No. 18 Dale Coyne Racing James Davison On Engine #6* No. 19 Dale Coyne Racing Justin Wilson On Engine #4 No. 20 Ed Carpenter Racing Ed Carpenter On Engine #4 No. 25 Andretti Autosport Marco Andretti On Engine #4 No. 27 Andretti Autosport James Hinchcliffe On Engine #4 No. 55 Schmidt Peterson Motorsports Tristan Vautier On Engine #5 No. 67 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing Josef Newgarden On Engine #5 No. 77 Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports Simon Pagenaud On Engine #4 No. 78 KV Racing Technology Simona De Silvestro On Engine #4 No. 83 Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing Charlie Kimball On Engine #4 No. 98 Barracuda Racing JR Hildebrand On Engine #4
*Davison’s car, as it is on sixth engine, is not eligible to score manufacturer points if it is the highest-finishing Honda engine.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 0
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 1
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)