Aug 23, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
INDYCAR issued a fresh engine update prior to this weekend’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (4 p.m. EST, Sunday, NBCSN). All cars but one are either on their fourth or fifth engines. Once teams change to a sixth, further penalties will apply.
There have not been the same number of engine grid penalties issued this year as last, but there are still five races remaining. Thus far, Andretti Autosport, Team Penske, KV Racing Technology, A.J. Foyt Enterprises and Barracuda Racing have only had one engine penalty issued for unapproved changes. Panther Racing, Dragon Racing, and Ed Carpenter Racing have yet to be hit with one. All other teams have two or more; Chip Ganassi Racing, between its three cars, has taken a series-high six grid penalties.
The breakdown as issued by INDYCAR is below:
CAR ENTRANT DRIVER ENGINE STATUS No. 1 Andretti Autosport Ryan Hunter-Reay On Engine #4 No. 3 Team Penske Helio Castroneves On Engine #5 No. 4 Panther Racing Ryan Briscoe On Engine #4 No. 5 Team Venezuela-Andretti Autosport-HVM E.J. Viso On Engine #4 No. 6 Dragon Racing Sebastian Saavedra On Engine #4 No. 7 Dragon Racing Sebastien Bourdais On Engine #4 No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Scott Dixon On Engine #4 No. 10 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Dario Franchitti On Engine #5 No. 11 KV Racing Technology Tony Kanaan On Engine #4 No. 12 Team Penske Will Power On Engine #4 No. 14 A.J. Foyt Enterprises Takuma Sato On Engine #4 No. 15 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Graham Rahal On Engine #5 No. 16 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing James Jakes On Engine #5 No. 18 Dale Coyne Racing James Davison On Engine #6* No. 19 Dale Coyne Racing Justin Wilson On Engine #4 No. 20 Ed Carpenter Racing Ed Carpenter On Engine #4 No. 25 Andretti Autosport Marco Andretti On Engine #4 No. 27 Andretti Autosport James Hinchcliffe On Engine #4 No. 55 Schmidt Peterson Motorsports Tristan Vautier On Engine #5 No. 67 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing Josef Newgarden On Engine #5 No. 77 Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports Simon Pagenaud On Engine #4 No. 78 KV Racing Technology Simona De Silvestro On Engine #4 No. 83 Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing Charlie Kimball On Engine #4 No. 98 Barracuda Racing JR Hildebrand On Engine #4
*Davison’s car, as it is on sixth engine, is not eligible to score manufacturer points if it is the highest-finishing Honda engine.
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- The ingredients are set for Graham Rahal’s big, breakout year 0
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 2
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 2
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)