Aug 23, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen has insisted that there have been no developments in his future despite speculation linking him to Felipe Massa’s seat at Ferrari for next season.
The Finn is currently lying second in the drivers’ championship with Lotus, but financial problems have thrown his future with the team into doubt. Raikkonen openly admitted that things could be better at Lotus.
“It’s not as it should [be], but hopefully those things get sorted quickly,” the Finn explained.
He also revealed that talks with Red Bull had broken down due to a lack of communication from the world champions, stating that they would be better placed to go into further detail over the matter.
“I have no answer from them, and you have to really ask from them what they will do. I don’t know any better than you guys.
“We haven’t heard really anything for a while so that’s not the ideal situation.”
Besides Red Bull, Raikkonen has been linked to both Ferrari and McLaren in recent days, but he again reinforced that these were merely rumors and he was still assessing his options for next season.
“There’s always options open, but I don’t know. I have nothing to say until there is something sorted and for sure we will tell you when we know.
“There’s a lot of talk that I’m supposed to go to McLaren, Ferrari one day, Lotus next day.”
Raikkonen’s future largely hinges on Red Bull’s decision over the second seat at the team. The Finn’s manager revealed this week that he was no longer a consideration, suggesting that Daniel Ricciardo was poised to join the team, but reports yesterday suggest that the team is yet to make a final decision. A driver of Raikkonen’s calibre will be attractive to any team, but quite whether they can accommodate the Finn is another matter.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)