Aug 23, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Title fights in the GT and Touring Car B-Spec classes are at the forefront this weekend as the Pirelli World Challenge tackles the challenging and scenic Sonoma Raceway in northern California.
The Touring Car and TCB categories will stage Rounds 11 and 12 tomorrow afternoon, while the GT and GTS categories will have its 13th round on Sunday.
In TCB, the championship battle features Ernie Francis Jr. (No. 98 Mazda 2) and Robbie Davis (No. 37 Mini Cooper), who both split a pair of wins last time out at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course and are separated by a mere two points; Francis holds a 1036-1034 lead over Davis.
Needless to say, this weekend’s TC/TCB doubleheader will be critical for both men, as well as for third-place Joel Lipperini (948 points), whose hopes of driving to a TCB crown in the No. 81 Honda Fit are also still alive.
Meanwhile, GT sees Johnny O’Connell (No. 3 Cadillac CTS-V.R) holding a slim 14-point lead, 1278-1265, over James Sofronas (No. 14 Audi R8 LMS). A pair of third-place efforts from Sofronas at Mid-Ohio has helped him trim the gap to O’Connell, who will look to bounce back after a damaged radiator knocked him out of GT/GTS Round 12 at that track.
However, O’Connell and Sofronas will not only have to contend with each other but also Alex Figge (No. 9 Volvo S60), who rides into Sonoma with momentum fully at his back after sweeping both GT races at M-O. He’s also the defending GT race winner at Sonoma and could easily be a threat again.
Additionally, GTS class leader Jack Baldwin (No. 73 Porsche Cayman S) will look to keep his strong 2013 campaign going and stay ahead of his closest rivals, Mark Wilkins (-87 points) and Lawson Aschenbach (-105 points) – both of whom split class wins at M-O. In TC, Ryan Winchester (No. 72 Honda Civic Si) won’t be able to clinch that title this weekend, but with a hearty 231-point lead in the standings, he can still take further steps toward sewing it up.
The weekend’s races will be streamed live on World-ChallengeTV.com, with Saturday’s TC/TCB events airing at 6:55 p.m. ET and Sunday’s GT/GTS event airing at 1:45 p.m. ET. In addition, NBCSN will broadcast the Sonoma rounds on Sun., Sept. 8 at 3:30 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 1
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0
- Kevin Harvick in a class of his own, dominates Atlanta NNS race 0
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar crowns its champion tonight at Fontana 1
- Lessons learned from Dale Earnhardt death readily seen in way NASCAR has dealt with Tony Stewart tragedy 2
- Aleshin conscious following heavy accident in MAVTV 500 final practice (UPDATED, VIDEO) 4