Aug 23, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Michael Waltrip Racing made a splash with signing Brian Vickers as the full-time driver of the No. 55 Aaron’s Toyota for the next two seasons of NASCAR Sprint Cup. He’ll have a new crew chief, because according to media reports, Rodney Childers will be on the move to Stewart-Haas Racing to team with Kevin Harvick.
“It’s just a personal decision,” Childers told USA Today’s Jeff Gluck. “I’ve thought about it for a long time and just woke up one day and that’s what my heart told me I should do.”
He’ll leave Vickers, which he acknowledged was a difficult decision. Waltrip had said as recently as August 13 that he believed Childers would stay at MWR.
Much has changed since that point. Martin is off to Stewart-Haas as a temporary fill-in driver for Tony Stewart, and now Childers appears ready to leave next.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett to join NASCAR coverage on NBC, NBCSN 1
- F1: Lotus releases images of its new Mercedes-powered E23 1
- NASCAR Media Tour begins today, but drivers still in idle 2
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ponders a 24-hour NASCAR race 7
- ‘Do you get mad when your boyfriend wrecks you?’ Danica Patrick faces kids’ pressing questions 5
- Jeff Gordon to serve as NASCAR TV analyst this season 19
- Ganassi’s No. 02 Riley-Ford Scores Rolex 24 Victory 3