Aug 23, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Michael Waltrip Racing made a splash with signing Brian Vickers as the full-time driver of the No. 55 Aaron’s Toyota for the next two seasons of NASCAR Sprint Cup. He’ll have a new crew chief, because according to media reports, Rodney Childers will be on the move to Stewart-Haas Racing to team with Kevin Harvick.
“It’s just a personal decision,” Childers told USA Today’s Jeff Gluck. “I’ve thought about it for a long time and just woke up one day and that’s what my heart told me I should do.”
He’ll leave Vickers, which he acknowledged was a difficult decision. Waltrip had said as recently as August 13 that he believed Childers would stay at MWR.
Much has changed since that point. Martin is off to Stewart-Haas as a temporary fill-in driver for Tony Stewart, and now Childers appears ready to leave next.
- Hunter-Reay leads as times plunge in second practice at Sonoma 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6