Aug 23, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Michael Waltrip Racing made a splash with signing Brian Vickers as the full-time driver of the No. 55 Aaron’s Toyota for the next two seasons of NASCAR Sprint Cup. He’ll have a new crew chief, because according to media reports, Rodney Childers will be on the move to Stewart-Haas Racing to team with Kevin Harvick.
“It’s just a personal decision,” Childers told USA Today’s Jeff Gluck. “I’ve thought about it for a long time and just woke up one day and that’s what my heart told me I should do.”
He’ll leave Vickers, which he acknowledged was a difficult decision. Waltrip had said as recently as August 13 that he believed Childers would stay at MWR.
Much has changed since that point. Martin is off to Stewart-Haas as a temporary fill-in driver for Tony Stewart, and now Childers appears ready to leave next.
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 0
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2