Aug 23, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Michael Waltrip Racing made a splash with signing Brian Vickers as the full-time driver of the No. 55 Aaron’s Toyota for the next two seasons of NASCAR Sprint Cup. He’ll have a new crew chief, because according to media reports, Rodney Childers will be on the move to Stewart-Haas Racing to team with Kevin Harvick.
“It’s just a personal decision,” Childers told USA Today’s Jeff Gluck. “I’ve thought about it for a long time and just woke up one day and that’s what my heart told me I should do.”
He’ll leave Vickers, which he acknowledged was a difficult decision. Waltrip had said as recently as August 13 that he believed Childers would stay at MWR.
Much has changed since that point. Martin is off to Stewart-Haas as a temporary fill-in driver for Tony Stewart, and now Childers appears ready to leave next.
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)