Aug 23, 2013, 8:40 PM EST
Scott Dixon led today’s second practice session for the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (Sun., 4 p.m. ET, NBCSN), turning in the fastest lap of the day overall with a time of 1 minute, 18.3145 seconds around the hilly 2.4-mile road course.
After checking out the Sonoma circuit, Dixon, who trails IZOD IndyCar Series championship leader Helio Castroneves by 31 points going into this weekend, believes that it’ll be a tough go-round for himself and the rest of the field.
“A lot of that may be the tires – I think Firestone always has a great product, but maybe the tires just don’t match here that well,” said the two-time series champion.
“It’s definitely making it interesting. In the first [practice] session, you kind of get two or three laps to get it together, and I didn’t get it together whatsoever…I don’t know, it’s really about getting your laps together and making sure you get the most out of the first sort of three laps, and I think as the race goes on, it’s going to make a really interesting race on these roads.”
Castroneves was second-fastest both in the afternoon and overall, logging a time of 1 minute, 18.6694 seconds. Ryan Hunter-Reay’s lap that topped the Friday morning session (1 minute, 18.6814 seconds) was good enough to stand third overall, followed by Will Power in fourth (1 minute, 18.7454 seconds; afternoon) and Dario Franchitti in fifth (1 minute, 18.8124 seconds; morning).
Saturday will see a third practice session at 2 p.m. ET, followed by three rounds of ‘knockout’ qualifying starting at 5:30 p.m. ET. NBCSN will air the qualifying session later on at 9 p.m. ET.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 2
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 5