Aug 24, 2013, 12:10 PM EST
Valtteri Bottas is banking on the Belgian Grand Prix being a wet race despite being caught out in the tricky conditions today during qualifying at Spa-Francorchamps.
The Finnish driver stunned the F1 world when he finished an incredible P3 in the last wet qualifying session at the Canadian Grand Prix. However, he could not emulate this form today and qualified a disappointing twentieth.
“It was very tricky,” Bottas explained after qualifying. “I think the track was getting better quicker than we expected and in the end the slicks were the right option. It’s easy to say afterwards, but we were on the wrong tire at the end.”
Max Chilton, Jules Bianchi and Giedo van der Garde were all able to make it through on the slick tire whilst Bottas and teammate Pastor Maldonado were stuck on intermediates. Despite the conditions hindering his qualifying effort today, the Finn is still hoping for wet weather in the race tomorrow.
“I still hope for some rain. Starting from so far back, it could be tricky in the dry. Rain can always mix things up, so it would be better for us.”
Williams’ season so far has been highly disappointing, scoring a single point in the opening ten races. However, Bottas has already proved this season that he can excel in the wet, meaning that if the forecast rain strikes Spa tomorrow, we could yet see the team fighting for points once again.
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)