Aug 24, 2013, 9:57 PM EDT
Dario Franchitti took home his fourth Verizon P1 Award Saturday at Sonoma, in qualifying for Sunday’s IZOD IndyCar Series GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (4 p.m. EST, NBCSN).
Franchitti and Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Scott Dixon have maximized the pace of their Dallara DW12 Hondas in testing and practice at Sonoma and parlayed that into the fastest two laps on Saturday. Franchitti clocked in with a best time of 1:17.5271 and Dixon was just behind at 1:17.7196 to lead the field for Sunday’s 85-lap race.
“Obviously both Target cars have been fast all weekend, and in the test as well,” said Franchitti, whose pole is the 33rd of his illustrious career. “We made a lot of changes, but seemed to go back where we started. Q1 we just did the one lap on the reds and it was the quickest time, so they pulled me in and we felt that there was a lot of good still left in the tires. So we put those on for the second run and the car was good again, and I managed to make a couple of mistakes, actually, so I was surprised to be as close to the guys on the new reds.”
Come the Firestone Fast Six, Franchitti admitted he made even further mistakes but still had enough pace to compensate.
“We had the new reds on obviously for the Firestone Fast Six, which is just as well because I did a good job at the 10 and 11 corners and royally screwed up Turn 6 both laps, so luckily I had the advantage in the other corners to make it. So really happy, good to have 1-2 and all three of the Ganassi cars in the top six is pretty cool,” he said.
Besides the Target twins, Mid-Ohio winner Charlie Kimball continued his run of form in the No. 83 Novo Nordisk CGR entry, helping put all of Ganassi’s cars into the Fast Six for the second race running. He’ll line up sixth after his third Fast Six appearance of 2013, having made it in on all three permanent road courses. It’s a nice result for the team as it’s the first race since the passing of Chip’s father Floyd earlier this week.
The three non-Ganassi interlopers were the pair from Team Penske – Will Power and Helio Castroneves in third and fifth – and they sandwiched Ryan Hunter-Reay’s Andretti Autosport entry in fourth. The qualifying result is the fourth consecutive year at Sonoma where five of the six Firestone Fast Six participants are from the Ganassi and Penske camps.
Justin Wilson, Graham Rahal, James Hinchcliffe, Simon Pagenaud, Marco Andretti and Sebastien Bourdais advanced from Q1 into Q2, but got no further. Wilson matches his season-best start (also achieved at Mid-Ohio), while former Newman/Haas teammate Rahal’s ahead of RLL Racing teammate James Jakes for only the third time since Brazil in May. It’s Rahal’s first top-10 start on a road or street course this year.
Also of note, JR Hildebrand (18th) outqualified Ryan Briscoe (22nd), with the Barracuda Racing Honda ahead of Hildebrand’s old Panther Racing Chevrolet. Other part-timers James Davison (21st) and Lucas Luhr (25th) were unable to make too much of an impression; Luhr was nine tenths in arrears of Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing teammate Josef Newgarden.
GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma
SONOMA, Calif. – Qualifying Saturday for the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma IZOD IndyCar Series event on the 2.385 mile(s) Sonoma Raceway, with qualifying position, car number in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, time and speed in parentheses:
1. (10) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 01:17.5271 (110.748)
2. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 01:17.7196 (110.474)
3. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 01:17.9735 (110.114)
4. (1) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.1314 (109.892)
5. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.1766 (109.828)
6. (83) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.2009 (109.794)
7. (19) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.2138 (109.776)
8. (15) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.3051 (109.648)
9. (27) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.3135 (109.636)
10. (77) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.3787 (109.545)
11. (25) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.6230 (109.205)
12. (7) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 01:26.7515 (98.972)
13. (14) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.9164 (108.799)
14. (55) Tristan Vautier, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.3141 (109.635)
15. (5) EJ Viso, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.9344 (108.774)
16. (11) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.3318 (109.611)
17. (67) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, 01:19.0094 (108.671)
18. (98) JR Hildebrand, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.7114 (109.082)
19. (16) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, 01:19.1563 (108.469)
20. (6) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.8967 (108.826)
21. (18) James Davison, Dallara-Honda, 01:19.5285 (107.961)
22. (4) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.9743 (108.719)
23. (78) Simona De Silvestro, Dallara-Chevy, 01:19.5298 (107.960)
24. (20) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Chevy, 01:19.2376 (108.358)
25. (97) Lucas Luhr, Dallara-Honda, 01:19.9805 (107.351)
Oct 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The difficulties faced by Formula 1 in the United States seem to be long gone, with a great home in Austin, Texas and a booming fan base. Has the problem child of a market finally been righted?
Oct 29, 2014, 11:37 PM EDT
Behind the scenes of Lewis Hamilton’s day at the TODAY Show.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
When it comes to this weekend’s Toyota NHRA Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, John Force is taking his effort to win his record-extending 17th Funny Car championship to a high power. As in 16X.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America, Kelli Stavast talked with Jeff Gordon about the difficulties of advancing to the final round of the Chase.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
It was just a matter of time for NHRA Top Fuel drag racer Bob Vandergriff Jr., and now that time has come.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
With some of the things he says or does on the racetrack, Kyle Busch might seem like he’s all wet at times.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Hawksworth: “We’re here to win, to give 120 percent.”
Oct 29, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Downtown Austin gets treated to the first big event of the F1 weekend.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Coming up today: More on this week’s critical test at Homestead-Miami Speedway; an in-depth look at the Drive for Diversity program; Parker Kligerman shows you what it takes to be tops at Texas in the NBC Sports iRacing Simulator.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
After 10 delays to resolve the most serious charges against him stemming from a three-state police chase that reached speeds as high as 150-mph, will the 11th time finally be the charm for former NASCAR and World of Outlaws racer Tyler Walker?
Oct 29, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
A.J. Foyt’s Honda-powered team expands to two cars, with Jack Hawksworth joining Takuma Sato in the lineup.
Oct 29, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
Even though it will only be his third appearance this season in the Nationwide Series, it’s kind of fitting that Florida native Scott Lagasse Jr. will compete in the third NNS race and season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
Oct 29, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
CORE autosport looks back on its fourth straight PC team title.
Oct 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Voda will serve primarily as host for pre/post-race coverage of Sprint Cup and XFINITY Series events on NBC Sports.
Oct 29, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The perils of street racing and dealing with city governments: Baltimore was a case study in what could go wrong.
Oct 29, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Jonathan Bomarito back in a Mazda, now in a prototype. I
Oct 29, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
The Michael Waltrip Racing driver gets acquainted with Toyota’s newest challenger.
Oct 29, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Schmidt Peterson’s first Indy Lights driver is confirmed.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The Fort Lauderdale, Florida native is inducted into the Broward County (Fla.) Hall of Fame as part of a class that includes two Olympic gold medalists and a Pro Football Hall of Famer.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
A simple “in Indianapolis” tweet could well mean Sam Bird is looking at an IndyCar opportunity.
Video from NASCAR America
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1
- Different agendas for Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr. at Homestead test 1
- NBC, NBCSN set for mega U.S. Grand Prix weekend of coverage from Austin 2
- Lewis Hamilton to join TODAY Show on Wednesday 0