Aug 24, 2013, 9:57 PM EDT
Dario Franchitti took home his fourth Verizon P1 Award Saturday at Sonoma, in qualifying for Sunday’s IZOD IndyCar Series GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (4 p.m. EST, NBCSN).
Franchitti and Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Scott Dixon have maximized the pace of their Dallara DW12 Hondas in testing and practice at Sonoma and parlayed that into the fastest two laps on Saturday. Franchitti clocked in with a best time of 1:17.5271 and Dixon was just behind at 1:17.7196 to lead the field for Sunday’s 85-lap race.
“Obviously both Target cars have been fast all weekend, and in the test as well,” said Franchitti, whose pole is the 33rd of his illustrious career. “We made a lot of changes, but seemed to go back where we started. Q1 we just did the one lap on the reds and it was the quickest time, so they pulled me in and we felt that there was a lot of good still left in the tires. So we put those on for the second run and the car was good again, and I managed to make a couple of mistakes, actually, so I was surprised to be as close to the guys on the new reds.”
Come the Firestone Fast Six, Franchitti admitted he made even further mistakes but still had enough pace to compensate.
“We had the new reds on obviously for the Firestone Fast Six, which is just as well because I did a good job at the 10 and 11 corners and royally screwed up Turn 6 both laps, so luckily I had the advantage in the other corners to make it. So really happy, good to have 1-2 and all three of the Ganassi cars in the top six is pretty cool,” he said.
Besides the Target twins, Mid-Ohio winner Charlie Kimball continued his run of form in the No. 83 Novo Nordisk CGR entry, helping put all of Ganassi’s cars into the Fast Six for the second race running. He’ll line up sixth after his third Fast Six appearance of 2013, having made it in on all three permanent road courses. It’s a nice result for the team as it’s the first race since the passing of Chip’s father Floyd earlier this week.
The three non-Ganassi interlopers were the pair from Team Penske – Will Power and Helio Castroneves in third and fifth – and they sandwiched Ryan Hunter-Reay’s Andretti Autosport entry in fourth. The qualifying result is the fourth consecutive year at Sonoma where five of the six Firestone Fast Six participants are from the Ganassi and Penske camps.
Justin Wilson, Graham Rahal, James Hinchcliffe, Simon Pagenaud, Marco Andretti and Sebastien Bourdais advanced from Q1 into Q2, but got no further. Wilson matches his season-best start (also achieved at Mid-Ohio), while former Newman/Haas teammate Rahal’s ahead of RLL Racing teammate James Jakes for only the third time since Brazil in May. It’s Rahal’s first top-10 start on a road or street course this year.
Also of note, JR Hildebrand (18th) outqualified Ryan Briscoe (22nd), with the Barracuda Racing Honda ahead of Hildebrand’s old Panther Racing Chevrolet. Other part-timers James Davison (21st) and Lucas Luhr (25th) were unable to make too much of an impression; Luhr was nine tenths in arrears of Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing teammate Josef Newgarden.
GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma
SONOMA, Calif. – Qualifying Saturday for the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma IZOD IndyCar Series event on the 2.385 mile(s) Sonoma Raceway, with qualifying position, car number in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, time and speed in parentheses:
1. (10) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 01:17.5271 (110.748)
2. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 01:17.7196 (110.474)
3. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 01:17.9735 (110.114)
4. (1) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.1314 (109.892)
5. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.1766 (109.828)
6. (83) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.2009 (109.794)
7. (19) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.2138 (109.776)
8. (15) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.3051 (109.648)
9. (27) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.3135 (109.636)
10. (77) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.3787 (109.545)
11. (25) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.6230 (109.205)
12. (7) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 01:26.7515 (98.972)
13. (14) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.9164 (108.799)
14. (55) Tristan Vautier, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.3141 (109.635)
15. (5) EJ Viso, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.9344 (108.774)
16. (11) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.3318 (109.611)
17. (67) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, 01:19.0094 (108.671)
18. (98) JR Hildebrand, Dallara-Honda, 01:18.7114 (109.082)
19. (16) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, 01:19.1563 (108.469)
20. (6) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.8967 (108.826)
21. (18) James Davison, Dallara-Honda, 01:19.5285 (107.961)
22. (4) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Chevy, 01:18.9743 (108.719)
23. (78) Simona De Silvestro, Dallara-Chevy, 01:19.5298 (107.960)
24. (20) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Chevy, 01:19.2376 (108.358)
25. (97) Lucas Luhr, Dallara-Honda, 01:19.9805 (107.351)
Sep 22, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
It hasn’t always been easy for Logano since he broke into the Sprint Cup Series in 2009. But there’s no disputing that the kid once known as “Sliced Bread” (as in, greatest thing since) has grown up.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Two teams on the opposite ends of the Chase spectrum head for the Lone Star State.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
A wild doubleheader in Los Angeles has left Block with an 18-point edge over Wiman as the series heads for Seattle.
Sep 22, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Coming up today: Highlights and analysis from Joey Logano’s Chase win at Loudon; an interview with Penske president Tim Cindric; Kevin Harvick’s Chase progress; Denny Hamlin’s nightmarish day; 16-year-old Cole Custer’s historic Truck win.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
The former CART and F1 driver’s incredible story is spotlighted in a special clip that previews a new film regarding BMW’s legacy in touring car racing.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Wally Dallenbach Jr. to make competitive return to driving in Trans-Am, starting next month.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Eric Boullier indicates that he feels Red Bull breached the FIA’s new radio ban with its messages to Daniel Ricciardo during Sunday’s race.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Mark Webber enjoys his return to Austin in FIA WEC, even if the result in his No. 20 Porsche goes begging.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
The clash of the titans has gone Team Penske’s way so far. But next weekend’s race at Dover could see the tide turn in favor of Hendrick Motorsports.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Andre Lotterer reflects on the openness of FIA WEC and Super Formula compared to his one-off Grand Prix appearance in Belgium.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
The FIA WEC headed to Texas this weekend. Here are some thoughts on how it went down.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Both the TUDOR Championship and Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge put on a show in Austin this weekend.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Audi 1-2 leads FIA WEC winners at COTA.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Reliability woes have left Nico Rosberg reeling. If he doesn’t respond at Suzuka, it could be game over.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
German driver does well to keep his anger in check in his post-race video blog.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Vijay Mallya delighted as Force India makes 2014 its most successful season since entering F1 back in 2008.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has put himself back in control of the 2014 F1 world championship after a great win in Singapore as teammate Nico Rosberg retired.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
Millen scores his second win of 2014, while YouTube icon Block takes an 18-point lead in the championship with two races left in the season.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
Tony Schumacher (Top Fuel), Courtney Force (Funny Car), Dave Connolly (Pro Stock) and Andrew Hines (Pro Stock Motorcycle) were the winners in Sunday’s final rounds of the NHRA FallNationals in Ennis, Texas.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The talented rookie continues to duel with the Chasers at New Hampshire before finishing second to Joey Logano.
Video from NASCAR America
- Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore” 0
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 3
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 1
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 1
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 2