Aug 24, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has called pole position for the Belgian Grand Prix a “blessing” after a strong performance in difficult conditions today at Spa-Francorchamps.
The Briton was languishing in eighth place and struggling in the wet conditions before the circuit dried and allowed the 2008 world champion to take pole position with the final lap of Q3. However, Hamilton did not think that it was possible.
“I went wide in turn one and the dash display is usually telling you whether you’re up or down and it said I was three seconds down and then five seconds and six seconds, so I didn’t understand what was happening in the lap but I just kept pushing,” the Briton explained in the post-race press conference. “I could see I was catching Sebastian [Vettel] towards the end but what a blessing, I feel so fortunate to be up here.”
This may be his fourth consecutive pole position, but Hamilton revealed that he felt it was a particularly special one.
“I can’t remember the last time I crossed the line and had such a good feeling.
“It’s just crazy to think that this is my thirty-first pole and it still feels like it’s the first one. It’s just an incredible feeling and I’m very grateful to be here today.”
Hamilton edged out championship rival Vettel by just two-tenths of a second in the dying moments of the session as he took advantage of a change in conditions to jump up the order late on. If he is to reignite his championship charge and cut the sizeable gap to Vettel, Hamilton will need to produce a strong drive tomorrow and claim his second win at Spa – with or without the rain.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 1
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 1
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1