Aug 24, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
With Stewart out for the remainder of the Sprint Cup season after breaking his right leg in a recent sprint car accident, it’s fallen on Martin to drive the No. 14 SHR Chevrolet for all but one of the remaining races on the 2013 calendar (Austin Dillon will drive the No. 14 at Talladega in October).
But while the 54-year-old Martin holds a well-deserved place as one of NASCAR’s most respected veterans, he still indicated on Friday at Bristol that he had a few rookie-like jitters before going about the task of replacing Stewart.
“Like I said before, I’m a little bit nervous about today, because I feel like it is an extraordinary challenge,” he said. “Because it’s not like…I’ve switched around a lot, but usually, you have a couple of months and a test or two to get together. Man, I see a lot of faces I’m not sure I can put names to just yet.”
But SHR competition director Greg Zipadelli appeared to have the utmost confidence in Martin, who also noted that he was “honored and humbled” to have his latest opportunity.
“For us, it’s a homerun,” said Zipadelli. “Obviously, he has big shoes to fill to take Tony’s seat and there are not many guys in the garage that could do that.
“We all agreed that if there was any way to get Mark Martin, he was the guy that would do us the best job and be able to do that.”
Martin was to drive nine more races this year in the No. 55, but with his jump to SHR, Vickers has taken on those events in addition to the three he himself already had remaining.
“Once they got that done, signed and announced, you know, then it kind of opened the door where it was a win/win for everybody,” Martin mused.
“It’s a win for Brian, it’s a win for Michael Waltrip Racing, and it’s a win for myself to have the opportunity to be a small part of Stewart-Haas.”
Martin will start 11th on tonight’s grid.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 49
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2