Aug 25, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Fernando Alonso produced one of his best performances of the season so far to fight through the field and finish second during today’s Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps.
The Spanish driver started the race down in ninth after a wet qualifying session prevented him from challenging for pole position on Saturday. However, he made a fantastic start, passing Paul di Resta, Romain Grosjean, Kimi Raikkonen and Mark Webber on the first lap to move up into fifth, eventually clawing his way up to third by the time of his first pit stop. The Ferrari driver then caught Lewis Hamilton before pulling away and eventually finishing an easy second to race winner Sebastian Vettel.
“Everything went okay from the start,” Alonso said after the race. “Then the car had the speed to overtake some cars, and it was a little bit boring after we got second place. We were nowhere near Sebastian and not a big threat from behind.”
The next race is Ferrari’s home event: the Italian Grand Prix at Monza, home of the ever-faithful Tifosi that support the team. Alonso explained on the podium that it will be an important weekend where he is hoping to give the Ferrari fans something to smile about.
“It’s an important weekend for us and the team. Last year we were very close to repeating the victory that we also got in 2010, so I am fully motivated again. In Monza, we would like to give some smiles and some satisfaction to the Tifosi.”
Due to Kimi Raikkonen’s retirement on lap twenty after a brake failure, Alonso has re-claimed second place in the drivers’ championship and is Vettel’s closest rival for the title despite trailing the German driver by forty-six points.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ponders a 24-hour NASCAR race 0
- ‘Do you get mad when your boyfriend wrecks you?’ Danica Patrick faces kids’ pressing questions 3
- Jeff Gordon to serve as NASCAR TV analyst this season 12
- Ganassi’s No. 02 Riley-Ford Scores Rolex 24 Victory 3
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2